Can't insert emoji in PDF note (MacOS)

When trying to insert an emoji into a note inside a PDF, either via cmd+ctrl+space, or Edit->Emoji&Symbols, nothing happens. The normal emoji picker does not appear.

Is this a bug, or is it documented somewhere that emojis are forbidden in note text?
  • edited March 5, 2024
    Emoji are supported, which you can see yourself by pasting them in.

Support for the macOS emoji picker depends on the Firefox framework that Zotero is built on. Fn-E should bring up the emoji picker, but at least for me there's a bug where the E still appears and needs to be deleted. That happens in the latest version of Firefox as well, and Mozilla appears to be working on a fix, so this (and probably Cmd-Ctrl-Space) will be fixed in a future version of Zotero.

In Zotero 6, some newer emoji may render as the separate characters they're made up of (e.g., "farmer" is "person" + "sheaf of rice"). They'll appear correctly in Zotero 7, currently in beta.
  • Thank you for the quick reply and clarification. Yeah, I also noticed that the listed shortcut was fn+E, but that was not working for me either (for me, the edit menu bar flashes like it's executing the shortcut, but all I get is the `e` without any emoji picker).