macOS repeatedly crashes while editing references in Zotero

I have not yet reliably reproduced this issue but Zotero repeatedly crashed my M1 MacBook running the latest macOS. I have a mid-sized Zotero library with c.7k references , thousands of attachments and 10k+ notes, which is synced between and edited on multiple computers. BBT is set up to automatically export some collections upon changes to the references.

It seems to me that crashes occur while editing a reference during synchronisation. Unfortunately, I was not able to find a crash report in Console.
  • What do you mean by "macOS repeatedly crashes"? Are you getting a kernel panic, where the whole computer restarts? That would by definition be either an OS or hardware issue, not a problem in Zotero itself. Make sure you're running the latest version of macOS.
  • Yes, the computer restarts after a kernel panic. This continuous to happen occasionally while editing references in the Zotero client. I am running the latest versions of macOS, Zotero, and BBT.
  • You should be able to find a report under Diagnostic Reports. Again, this isn't caused by Zotero, so it wouldn't be a crash log for Zotero itself.
  • edited March 2, 2024
    @till.grallert, have you found a solution to that issue? It happens to me too, a bit too often for comfort. Since I almost always add references while writing, it crashes at least a few times per day... Honestly, it drives me crazy and I am on the verge of giving up Zotero altogether. Later edit: I have almost the same configuration as you, M2 Max, with plenty of memory (64 GB). I also really don't get the comments that this is *not* related to Zotero... I beg to differ. Since it happens *only* when using Zotero, it is certainly *related* to Zotero. Who's responsible for optimizing their technology, Zotero or Apple, is a completely different dish :)
  • This happened to me. I thought to myself that it couldn't be a hardware problem, the computer is almost new. I called Apple Care, they ran tests online and it was a hardware problem. A warranty issue. The computer now works after repair.

The only non-Zotero issue I was having was now-and-then a failed Firefox tab.
  • @DWL-SDCA. Your answer gives me a lot of hope. I don't much like the thought of my Mac being defective and having to send it for service, but it is the first solution I have seen in almost 2 years. Thank you! PS: well, it turns out it is an all-Apple problem, after all. Who knew :)