Storing PDFs in one folder for several computers

I have 3 computers and a zotero account. My references are correctly synced, but I'd like to access the PDFs from all computers too. Since the size of the library is massive I would like to use my own cloud space (onedrive or icloud), for example using a single folder that I can access from different computers. I looked through discussions and I am not entirely clear how to proceed. Could someone please point to the best discussion that explains this?
  • edited February 24, 2024
    If your PDF collection is huge and and a paid online storage account is not feasible, people often manage that with linked attachment files in a cloud-mirrored folder. Note the limitations - they don't work with groups or Zotero mobile. And of course you are responsible for syncing PDF files across computers.
    https://www.zotero.org/support/attaching_files#linked_files
  • Thanks very much.
    I am unclear what you mean by being responsible for syncing PDFs.
    My ideal scenario is that the references are synced accross computers, using the Zotero account function, but the PDF stays in a single cloud folder. Also in each computer the references automatically aquire the link to the PDF in the cloud when they are synced. (I hope I am making sense, I will need to try to find out!)
  • responsible yourself == you need to use a 3rd party service for syncing. as you a planning to, it appears.
    The rest is explained in the link above:
    (tim820 and I somewhat disagree about how simple this is: it's clearly possible and people use it, but you have to set up each synced computer correctly and you need to have correctly set up add-ons (ZotFile on Zotero 6 and Zot File Manager on Zotero 7) for it to work conveniently, and then you still have the noted limitations wrt groups and mobile apps. So if paying for Zotero Storage (or finding a working WebDAV service) is financially or otherwise out of the question, go for it, but it be aware that you're using a 2nd best option with more moving parts and more things that can go wrong.
  • thanks for clarifying