[Z7 Beta] Cannot search annotations while an annotation is selected in another tab

I've noticed that I sometimes couldn't search the annotations in the annotation pane and have finally found how to reproduce:

1) Open two documents containing annotations, A and B in the reader.
2) Select an annotation in document A (doesn't matter whether it's selected in the reader or the annotation pane).
3) Switch to document B. Click on the magnifying glass icon in the annotation pane to search the annotations.

Result: Nothing happens

Expected behaviour: The search field opens.

Workaround: Clicking somewhere in the reader pane allows me to then open the search.
  • I still can't reproduce it. You don't have any plugins enabled right? Could you make a video demonstrating the issue?
  • edited February 21, 2024
    I don't have any plugins enabled. Here's a video of the issue: https://imgur.com/4Ec6GTG
  • Can anyone else reproduce this?
  • I tried with 2 recent PDFs and with 2 older OCRed PDFs. And I can't reproduce on macOS. (Aside, what is the popup near the cursor? Is it related to the screen recording software?)
  • The pop-up is part of the screen recording to show mouse clicks.

I'm using Zotero on Kubuntu 23.10. It doesn't matter for me what kind of PDFs they are. It does make a difference, however, whether the tab has been openend before. If document B hasn't been opened before and the tab is first loaded through switching to it, I am able to use the search.
    Same for me as the first message in this thread.
    Debug ID: D1871076002

Another observation: if you press Esc after step 3, the search bar comes out.

Windows 10
    Zotero 7.0.0-beta.60+91e1c6ca3 (64-bit)
  • I can also reproduce the bug on Ubuntu 23.10.
    Other steps to reproduce (which do not involve selecting annotations):
    1) Open a PDF in a Reader
    2) Click on the My Library tab
    3) Go back to the Reader tab
    4) Click on the search button of the annotations pane
    -> Nothing happens.
  • Thanks everyone for the help to reproduce the issue!

The issue should be fixed in the next update.