Zotero Connector & EDS (EBSCO Discovery Service) not working correctly

Hi!

At my library we recently switched from the older EDS interface to their new interface, and since then the Zotero Connector is not behaving as one should expect. I have read other posts here about similar issues, but I don't really understand if the problem is related to Zotero or EBSCO.

When in the result list, the Zotero Connector does not show as the yellow folder, but as "Web Page with Snap Shot". Thus, it's not possible so save multiple references from the result list using Zotero Connector.

Another issue is that, when going to a specific article post in EDS, the Zotero Connector icon shows as a book, even though it's an article I'm looking at. Everything works fine when importing the article, but it's confusing that it's the book icon that is being shown as the Zotero Connector icon, even though it's an article.

So, is this something that can be fixed by the Zotero Community, or do we need to contact EBSCO about this?

If you want to have a look, guests can search in our EDS. I can't seem to share a functioning link to a result list (that apparently requires login..), but if you go to https://www.su.se/stockholm-university-library/, click on "Articles" above the search field, then you can do a search in our EDS interface.

Emil
  • Your EDS has a slightly different structure in search results than others we have seen. I'll have a fix for your version up shortly.
    Another issue is that, when going to a specific article post in EDS, the Zotero Connector icon shows as a book, even though it's an article I'm looking at. Everything works fine when importing the article, but it's confusing that it's the book icon that is being shown as the Zotero Connector icon, even though it's an article.
    EDS doesn't reliably give readily readable item type info, so this will remain spotty, but I've added recognition of articles as long as they're marked as such (as the "Artikel" here)
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u2433/0pz2tj9qyhfjaxxxqqm4.png
  • OK, I've pushed out a fix for the search results and some minor improvements to the item type recognition, but overall you should expect that to remain not-super-reliable.
  • Thank you very much for this, it's a great improvement!
  • The search results keep breaking because EDS keeps tweaking their site (3rd time I've fixed these in the last 12 months, I think) and we can't build automated tests for them to monitor this ourselves, so please do come back and report if this stops working again.
  • Kia ora! Not sure if this is related...

We've just rolled out EDS (co-incidentally on the first week of term, because who doesn't like a bit of stress). This is what happens for me.

Do a search, get results. Zotero only offers to 'save as webpage'. Look at a result. Zotero recognises the metadata. click back to results. Now Zotero sees the results page as results, and I get to do a bulk save, and I get the folder icon.

Weird, and repeatable using connector version 5.0.114

Thanks for playing whack-a-mole with this!
  • Do you have guest access on your EDS? Happy to take a look.
    If not, would you mind posting the URL for the first time search results are displayed, exactly as you see it? Might be I can tell something from there.