Zotero 7 standard view request re: Info fields

This, if I remember correctly, has come up here before but without a particular use-case.

I would be really happy if (depending upon the item type) we could hide certain fields in the Info list. Specifically, if there are more than a few authors it is impossible to see the Abstract field without scrolling down. I would like to be able to hide fields that are unnecessary for this type (Archive, Loc. in Archive, and maybe Library Catalog and Call Number). Are Series, Series Title, and Series Text always appropriate for the Journal Article type?

An alternative to being able to see if there is an abstract provided might be to further optionally limit the number of authors listed.

Perhaps, someone might think of a better way to quickly see if an abstract was provided by the database of publisher.

If the record doesn't have an abstract, I go to the publisher's website to see if there is a complete abstract there. As I have mentioned before Springer-Nature journals are now including only the introduction secition of an article abstract. Several other publishers (notably BMJ Group and Emerald Group) often have an abstract on the article website but do not provide it with their importable metadata. I like to have the abstract text to facilitate my searches of the database by text-words. This is especially so when the title is attention-getting but not really descriptive.

Thanks
  • edited February 11, 2024
    Hiding certain fields has been discussed forever and might happen at some point. You're aware that in Zotero 7 you can 1) collapse Info with a single click on the header and 2) pin Abstract if you want to check the Abstract of multiple items in a row? You can also switch to Compact mode (View → Density → Compact) to see more information at once if you're still in Comfortable.
  • Collapse is the way to meet my needs. Thank you.
  • Collapse & pin are both awesome -- very useful!

Usually for me the info section is useful but takes up a ton of extra room due to empty fields. Hiding certain fields would be great, but more simply I would love to just have a toggle to "hide all empty fields".