Merging references in Word

What to do, if after copying different texts with in-text citations and citation lists into one document (parts of a thesis written separately and merged), same reference entries appear more than once in the final citation list? Can it be de-duplicated somehow? How can it be checked that all in-text citations appear in the citation list?
Thanks in advance!
  • edited January 30, 2024
    If these items are not duplicated in the library, it should be possible to merge them automatically.

For duplicate items, merge them in zotero, then refresh in word to merge.

Note that group and library are two items.
  • Well, I am afraid, it did not work. I tested it in the following way: I inserted one citation (let's call it citation A) into a blank Word doc. Then I created another doc using citation A and a new citation, let's call it citation B. Then I merged the two docs both the in-text citations and also the bibliographies. As a next step I highlighted the whole doc and clicked on Refresh. Result: in-text citations are fine, but items in the bibliography are doubled and not in alphabetic order. The items are definitely available in Zotero only once.
  • > Then I merged the two docs both the in-text citations and also the bibliographies.

No, You only need to keep one bibliography, only merge the in-text citation.
  • OK, I see, thanks. Testing in process.
  • Perfect, many thanks 'northword'.