Webdav Folder/Item Limit

Hi,

I am experiencing an issue with my Webdav sync. My Webdav provider only allows 3000 folders/items per folder itself, which my library has now exceeded.

Is there a way to set up Zotero to "split" the Webdav sync, so it will use multiple folders instead of a single one on my Webdav storage? I don't mind using a third party plugin for this, but if it not possible, does the Zotero Storage has a file/item number limit or is it purely storage size limited?

Best regards
  • edited January 21, 2024
    Am experiencing a similar issue, interested to hear if there are solutions.
  • I don't think there are, no. Definitely nothing built into Zotero and I'm not aware of any add-ons. The 3k limit items/folder is a provider-specific limit, nothing to do with WebDAV as such, so another WebDAV provider might help, though it is getting increasingly difficult to find free options (it's comparatively easy to set up, so individuals and institutions are running their own webDAV servers successfully). Zotero sync and Zotero File Storage do not have an item number limit and there are people using it with item and file counts beyond 100k (which may cause some general speed issues, but syncing, including file syncing, performs fine).
  • @adamsmith
    Thx for the confirmation, I was afraid that Zotero has no such feature implemented.

Unfortunately, I am forced to use a direct webDav storage provider, our university doesn't trust zotero storage....
    I went through a lot of different providers by now, but everyone I checked now has a file limit, my current one is already quite generous with 3k per folder.

Maybe something to note for the webDav documentation, pCloud DOES NOT support webDav anymore. It's not just being removed from their FAQ, but also the webdav URLs are not working anymore. If you look for a replacement, the german provider web.de has rentable cloud storage that supports webdav (3k/folder limit)

So, for now.....I have no solution. I might have a look what I can do with some scripting.
  • Unfortunately, I am forced to use a direct webDav storage provider, our university doesn't trust zotero storage....
    That, for the record, is a bizarre rule. Not allowing external storage providers is one thing, but allowing some rando webDAV but not allowing established, non profit, fully open sources Zotero has absolutely no justification in either law or reality.
  • Yepp....

ever since they went full microsoft integration (online office only etc.) they got nuts. I even get daily email reminders to upgrade my (personal !!) computer to Windows 11 which is being auto-answered with: "Then provide me a new computer".

Well, it is what it is. Long term I'll be moving away from webDav or build my own server somewhere hidden in the basement. At the moment I need the zotero to just work, which it does *knocking on wood*

However, best regards for your answer!