Fields lose focus in Zotero right pane info tab

When inputting citation information to fields in the info tab (right pane), hitting Tab or Enter to move to the next field often (not always) causes Zotero to lose focus.

This has been an issue since I began using Zotero a dozen years ago. It has persisted regardless of version, OS, machine, installed plugins, etc.

I have created a 35-second screencap to document this issue:
https://youtube.com/shorts/NvzLx_O6TG8

Is there a workaround?
  • @poettli
    Please consider my previous message and this one "a polite follow-up to the same thread asking if anyone has had a chance to look into your issue." Thank you.
  • That's not any sort of general issue we're aware of, but you should try the Zotero 7 beta to see if you can still reproduce it. The item pane has been completely rewritten with the redesign.
  • @dstillman

Thank you.

At your previous recommendation, I have reverted to Z6 and am hesitant to upgrade again unless those issues have been addressed.

At last check the beta still breaks multiple plugins, etc., I have made integral to my workflow, and has bugs I've found difficult to live with. And as of December, at least one other used was still reporting the PDF jump bug I posted last year, for example: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/109202/pdf-jumps-to-selected-bookmark#latest

Are there any other possible workarounds you can recommend? If not, it's a minor annoyance in a great application, so I'll just live with it.
  • Please stop saying I "recommended" not using the beta. I said if you don't want to use a beta, don't use it, but if you do, don't include snarky comments like the one you did when reporting bugs.

To be clear, Zotero 7 is vastly superior to Zotero 6 in almost every way at this point, so it's what I would generally recommend for someone comfortable reporting issues here. But whether some particular regression or plugin incompatibility outweighs the other improvements is of course up to you.

Regardless, if you're seeing a bug that other people aren't reporting and you want us to debug it, you would have to reproduce it in the software under development, which is Zotero 7.
  • @dstillman

I apologize that I misunderstood "If you don't want to use a beta, don't use a beta" as a recommendation based on the issues I was reporting. I don't know how you would characterize that statement, but I thought it was solid advice given my situation: the bugs and, as you said, "some particular regression or plugin incompatibility outweighs the other improvements." I appreciated that advice and reverted to Z6.

If Z6 is not under development, though, that changes things. Thank you for that additional information.

Last, I have always made it clear that I appreciate the incredible work that you and your colleagues do, and I have *never* been intentionally snarky here. You decided that, not me. I asked a question that you did not read as a question. I apologized then also in the interest of not allowing things to fester or escalate, but they have anyway. But I'd also like to make it clear that I don't like being talked down to (as in, "I'd expect better") and accused of snark.