Troubleshoot: content of a handful of folders out of >200 will not transfer from Mendeley to Zotero

Hello,

short version: I've transferred over 200 folders/subfolders from Mendeley to Zotero over the last weeks (in separate batches, some small some big). While most have been successful, 5-9 folders will not import their contents to Zotero despite me trying this import multiple times. I can't figure out how to remedy this.

long version: I've used Mendeley Reference Manager (online import) from the Zotero app several times from my Mendeley Collection to Zotero. I've done this with hundreds of folders and in smaller groups. Every time I use this import, the Zotero app will freeze. I will see a progress bar that almost reaches halfway, but after some time it will stop being responsive so I cannot even click "continue" or cancel, I will just have to close Zotero. I have waited multiple hours for each transfer, with the window frozen, assuming the import may still be ongoing despite the frozen interface. Most of my folders' contents were transferred despite these issues, except for these specific 5-9 folders of which none of their content has been transferred despite multiple attempts. In my last attempt I only tried to transfer these folders, by having removed my other folders in collections. Thought this import should have been much smaller, the window still froze and nothing was actually transferred. I had even checked for duplicate files to be updated through the import, rather than duplicate files being skipped over incase this had been the reason for the lack of transfer.

Does anyone know what I can try to do to import these last files?
  • In my last attempt I only tried to transfer these folders, by having removed my other folders in collections
    I assume you did this on Menedeley end. However, as long as these items exist anywhere on Mendeley end, including in trash, Zotero will still need to fetch these so this won't affect import performance in any way.

Your slow import might be a result of a slow connection to Mendeley servers or just the sheer amount of items that needs to be processed. Even when re-importing, all items must be fetched from Mendeley.

You can use Zotero 7 beta for import, it has overall better performance and import progress bar has higher accuracy.

If you're worried that Zotero is frozen, you can also try to run import with debug mode enabled, however bear in mind this will make the import noticeably slower, albeit you will be able to tell if Zotero is still doing something or if not - where/why it hangs. In order to do so, first enable it (Help -> Debug Output Logging -> Enable) and then "View Output" from the same menu. With output view opened, run import again. For as long as you see new lines appearing in the debug output, Zotero is working on your import. If that hangs, please paste last few lines from the log here. Let me stress it again, that with debug enabled, import is much slower.

• My trash appears empty on Mendeley. What do you suggest I clear so that it is only these 3-5 folders and their content that is being transferred? "Unsorted"? I do not want to risk removing anything from the group library on Mendeley, only from my "collections".
  • Best advice I can offer is to either try importing using Zotero 7 Beta or try running with debug enabled to see if the import does actually hang, as explained in my previous message.