Collections showing all items in a subcollection

I have many resources organized by State, with subcollections for different counties, and within those, subcollections for cities. When I added an item to a city subcollection, it would appear there and in My Library. Now, it is appearing in the city subcollection, the county subcollection, and the State collection.

I'm not sure when this behavior changed. Before today, I last looked at my Zotero library about a week ago.

Is there a setting I somehow messed up?
  • Toggle "View --> Show items in Subcollections" to change this behavior back and forth
  • Thank you! I never noticed this command, but must have clicked on it accidentally.
  • i have collections where every item has been allocated to a specific subcollection (no items were intended to visible in the parent collection only in the relevant subcollection) For whatever reason, the collection displays all contents of all subcollection. I want users to go to the collection and straight to the relevant subcollection. At the moment they go to the collection and view a mess whereas i'd like the to see nothing and go straight onto the subcollection they need. "Show Items from Subcollections' is exactly what i don't want but checking/unckecking makes no difference. Have i set something up wrong?
  • If the setting doesn't make a difference the items would appear to be both in the top level collection and the parent. I can't tell you how that would have happened.
    I'd test it out with one or two items to make sure that's the case here (e.g., remove from the subcollection, check if it remains in the parent -- if it does, it was present in the parent)
  • actually i realise the Group Library shows everything and i'd rather people went to the appropriate collection and/or subcollection
  • The library (group or personal) always shows all items; no way to change that -- it's foundational to the way the Zotero data model is built.
  • thanks. now i know