Difference between Individual Subscription and Lab/Institution Subscription

Does someone know the exact difference between individual and Lab/Institution Subscriptions?
The only information I could get was, "An institutional subscription is a way to provide personal and group storage to all Zotero users at your institution."

It means I can set an individual subscription with unlimited storage and invite as many people as I want to a group library with as many collections and subcollections as needed. Where is the advantage of having a Lab/Institution Subscription? Only that several people can include further participants in the group themselves and have their own private libraries?
  • Right - a lab membership gives each lab member unlimited storage for their private library and individual groups they own.
    If all you want are group libraries for the whole lab with unlimited storage, a single unlimited account will work just fine.
  • I have to choose (very soon ) between renewing by switching to unlimited storage for my account + my existing groups, or buying a Lab account and connecting it to my existing stored data.
    I need more detailed information on the differences between the two options, please provide them as soon possible.
    1) If I opt for the Lab is there a 100% method to connect it to my existing data without interruption and loss of data?
    2) If I opt for the unlimited account + groups, will the members of my groups connected to my unlimited account have ALL of the same privileges as myself the owner of the group (about editing, adding files, tagging, searching etc...).
    3) Is there a more direct way to have quick client support other than writing here in the forum, with no idea about who and when will answer my questions is (to me this a serious weakness of the Zotero system that should be corrected)
  • 1) If your account is added to a lab subscription, you get unlimited storage quota from the Lab subscription. Your data is not affected. If you have any time left on your individual subscription, that is paused so long as the Lab subscription is active.

2) You can allow group members to have either full edit permissions (including adding and editing items, tagging, searching, viewing attachments, etc) or just viewing permissions (just viewing items, searching, viewing attachments). You control permissions for each member individually.

3) Zotero support happens on these forums. All Zotero developers and dedicated volunteers read the forums multiple times per day, and threads are often responded to within hours, if not minutes. You will find that response times to Zotero threads are much faster than support channels for other reference managers, and people responding are actual developers and expert users, rather than support agents without real product knowledge.
  • Thank you bwiernik, your answer was really quick!
    Keep up the good work!
  • As an addition to 2) -- a group with unlimited storage works exactly the same as a group with a free account (except, of course, the amount of storage available), so you can test whether this works for you before paying.