iOS/iPadOS share not offering Zotero as an option

edited January 9, 2024
Long time Zotero user but just starting with iOS and iPadOS version. Documentation seems to imply that I should be able to click on the Share button in Safari or Chrome and share a document to Zotero, but Zotero does not appear in the list of apps. I've tried editing the share list, but Zotero isn't shown as an option there either. Am I missing something obvious? Thanks
  • Restart your device, and if you're not running the latest version of iOS, upgrade — earlier versions were sometimes buggy about showing available apps. We register with the system as a share target, and anything beyond that is under the control of iOS.
  • @davidstates you don't see zotero at all in any app or in just one specific app. If it's just one app, can you tell us the name? If it's all apps then what dstillman said applies.
  • I first noticed the issue on Safari, but when I checked Chrome, share to Zotero wasn't an option there either. Rebooting my phone and iPad, and then restarting Safari and Chrome a few times on iOS 17.2.1 and iPadOS 17.2 fixes the problem. First, Zotero wasn't appearing in either browser share to lists. After rebooting, it appeared in Chrome. After closing and reopening Safari a couple of times, Zotero appeared there as well. Seems like the problem is related to the way in which Apple chooses which apps are presented as options for sharing. Also not clear how Apple decides on the order in which apps appear, or which apps appear as icons versus the text list of options.

Thanks,

David
  • edited January 10, 2024
    Seems like the problem is related to the way in which Apple chooses which apps are presented as options for sharing.
    No, it's just a bug in iOS. If an app has a share extension, it's supposed to either appear in the horizontal app list and the More sheet.
    Also not clear how Apple decides on the order in which apps appear, or which apps appear as icons versus the text list of options.
    You can change the order and add apps that aren't automatically shown from the More sheet. The vertical list of text options at the bottom of the pane — if that's what you're referring to — is a different mechanism and unrelated to this.