Howto insert characted after a short citation that does not alter the citation?

Hi,
I'm using a (author, year) style for short citations. When inserting a new citation the cursor will be right behind the closing bracket and when I continue typing the text will not belong to the citation.
But sometimes I need to insert something behind such a short citation afterwards, e.g. because the sentence is finished but I forgot the dot or maybe the next word was appended without a blank between the citation and the word. So I place the cursor right behind the closing bracket and start typing, but then everything I type belongs to the citation. And when I refresh the citations, zotero warns me that I changed this citation and asks me to revert those changes.
So at the moment I need to put the cursor behind the next character after the bracket, enter the missing part, then remove the character right next to the bracket. E.g. when the citation is "(Who, 2023)showed..." I must place the cursor between the "s" and the "h", then type " and s" so that it is "(Who, 2023)s and showed...", then remove the s from the bracket.
Is there a way to solve that better? E.g. tell zotero that the citation really ends with the bracket and subsequent characters should never belong to the citation? I'm using my own style so I can adjust the csl file if there is some magic flag that could help :-)

Many thanks!
cu,
Frank
  • Which word processor and exact version?
  • Ah, sorry! I'm using LibreOffice 7.4.7.2 (which is the default installed here), but as you mentioned it, I tried LibreOffice 7.6 and the behaviour is different, indeed. In 7.4.7.2 it works fine after restarting until I once mark/select the next character after a citation instead of just positioning the cursor between the citation and the next character. If that happened once, every character inserted right after any citation will become part of that citation.
    In 7.6, it always works fine when I place the cursor after the citation. Only if I mark/select the character after the citation the chars I type then will be part of the citation. I guess that's how it is supposed to work and there is just some bug in 7.4, maybe a general problem with handling of fields...
  • edited January 4, 2024
    You are correct, this was a LibreOffice bug that has (finally) been fixed. Ask your tech folks up update LibreOffice.
  • So I'll go with my local 7.6 until the global installation is updated. Many thanks!