Accidentally deleted files from a Mendeley transfer - tried the Mendeley import again unsuccessfully

I have needed to transfer many files from a Mendeley account into a Zotero account. I did this in two Mendeley imports into Zotero. Both that I have done took many hours (maybe days - the import would freeze and I would wait a long time before closing it incase files were still being imported).

In each transfer, I saw a folder named with the date of that transfer, then inside of this folder was the folder structure in my Mendeley library that I wanted to keep. I had moved these folders with collections I wanted into other folders in Zotero. I thought then that I don't need the folder titled "transfer [transfer date]" and deleted it along with it's collection. Unfortunately, it looks like the files in that folder that were in its subfolders that I had moved all dissapeared.

From what I understood - I could not "undo" this delete. The only way I could recover deleted files would be that the citation is saved, but with no attachments of the articles.

Now I'm trying to do another mendeley import, to get all of these files back - but my import attempt yesterday that I let run all of today only appears to have transferred the folder structure with no content in it whatsoever. I'm not sure if it transferred no files over because of the import window being frozen, if duplicates of all these files still exist somewhere and it was my settings that messed this up, or for some other reason.

What can I do?
  • edited December 29, 2023
    Unfortunately, it looks like the files in that folder that were in its subfolders that I had moved all disappeared.
    Your items are probably not deleted, if I understand correctly, you've removed collections structure but if you click on "My Library", all your items should be there. Unless you choose "Delete Collection and Items" option, in which case your items are in trash. You can read more about Zotero collection model here: https://www.zotero.org/support/collections_and_tags#the_zotero_collections_model

While it is not possible to recover collections (but this feature is coming in a future version), items, together with attachments, notes etc., can be recovered from trash.

Finally, if you're OK with Zotero overriding any changes you've done to these items since importing to Zotero, you can run import again, and this time uncheck "Download new items only; don't update previously imported items".

Default behaviour (above checkbox checked) prevents ANY changes to previously imported items, including adding these items it to a new collection. Unchecking this checkbox will override imported items (as explained above, these are not gone) to match what is in Mendeley, but also re-create collections structure.
  • So I did delete collection and items unfortunately. I do see that the items are in my bin - but I don't understand how to move them all out of bin. I think from your response I understand that if I take them out of the bin, they will not return to their original locations - or is there anyway to have them returned to the original folders to restore that folder structure?

I did however also try to import again, unchecking the "download new items only; don't update previously imported items" but the new folder from this transfer date (that states its a transfer from the date I started it) is again completely empty. The import progress bar had stopped after a few hours (6-8?) at less than halfway, I kept the computer on (not logged off) for an additional 12 hours incase the import was still going on despite the progress bar not loading, but after 2 days I closed the Zotero import window that was non responsive.

I don't understand why no items are now importing - but if all my items can be returned to my library (ideally in the folders they were previously located in minus the "transfer folder" I deleted, then that's ok.
  • edited January 2, 2024
    You can restore items from the trash by selecting the items in the trash and clicking Restore to Library in the right-hand pane (or by right-clicking and choosing the same).

Collections won't be restored that way, though — you'd have to reimport for that. It sounds like Mendeley servers may be slow for you for that. Best we can suggest there is to restart Zotero and try again.
  • edited January 2, 2024
    @ClimateAnalytics: Well, but if you also added those items to collections other than the ones you deleted, the items will be restored to those collections when you restore them from the trash. No need to reimport in that case.