Zotero as a Selfhosted Web-Based app

Hi everyone,

Can I ask if the Zotero team has any plans to release a self-hosted web-based application of Zotero?

I mean something like web library but self-hosted and with all the pdf reading and annotation and other tools that Zotero has.

For me, the reason I can't use the desktop version is that I'm not allowed to install it on my work laptop, and the web-based version generally offers more freedom.

Best Regards,
Shahram
  • edited December 13, 2023
    No, sorry. The desktop app is what's meant for local usage.

You can use the web library itself, of course, though it has fewer features. Annotation creation and editing will be coming to the web library in the future.
  • "A desktop app allows for vastly more functionality than a website."

This really isn't true anymore with PWAs. A lot of reference managers are exclusively web-apps, or at least have web-apps at near feature parity (Paperpile, Petal, Readcube Papers, Mendeley, EndNote).
  • You are being pedantic about the article "a" vs. "the".

The Zotero desktop application currently is more powerful than the current web option.

The current Zotero desktop application is much more powerful and flexible than the web versions of each of the applications you mentioned.
  • No, we really did mean "a" there. Many of the things on that page wouldn't be possible with a PWA — a local database fully under your control, unrestricted access to arbitrary servers for downloading metadata/files/feeds/etc., integration with local word processors without going through a server, ability to run local executables or make low-level calls into platform APIs, a plugin framework that allows unlimited customization and transformation of the app experience…

Some of the things on the page could be accomplished by moving functionality to the server, which isn't restricted by the web platform, and we've been gradually doing that to add features to the web library, but that's a completely different model with major trade-offs and not at all a replacement for the desktop app.

(But yes, Zotero also has way more functionality than most of those other tools — even their desktop versions, but certainly their web versions. It's also a bit bizarre to mention Mendeley as an example here, given that they rather infamously replaced their relatively featureful native app with a new version that's a wrapper around their website and has a fraction of the previous functionality.)
  • @dstillman Now, I guess that I'm the one being pedantic. You said, "THE (Zotero) desktop app..." and @ProudChamp rephrased what you said--misquoting you. S/he said that several named PWAs have near feature parity with the Zotero desktop and I (perhaps clumsily) was stating that each of the mentioned apps was not nearly as powerful as Zotero desktop-- especially considering Zotero 7.
  • No, @ProudChamp was just quoting the linked page verbatim.
  • Well not to belabor the point, but most of the apps I mentioned aren't even PWAs. If they were, they'd have file system access through the File System Access API. https://developer.chrome.com/docs/capabilities/web-apis/file-system-access

And that's fine about Mendeley, but I also find it strange to mention native word processor integration as a feature when even Microsoft has all but abandoned offline Office suite. As far as running local executables, but that's more of a feature than a bug. I don't need a reference manager installing crapware on my machine. That's something I don't miss at all about Windows after switching to Chromebook.
  • edited December 28, 2023
    That "crapware" allows PDF text extraction, OCR, git integration, and much more, all without sending your personal stuff off to a server out of your control. None of this "crapware" (and I challenge you to name a single piece of "crapware" that Zotero or its ecosystem hypothetically bring to its users' system) is brought to your machine without your consent. And the plugin system of Zotero is utterly unmatched by any of its well-funded competitors.

There's a market for Chromebooks, but for some strange reason people seem to vastly prefer WinTel/Macs over chromebooks, and it's not even close. Now, I have aging relatives using chromebooks and I'm happy they do, because indeed, not much to screw up. But the tradeoffs are simply not universally appealing, and it's beyond laughable to assume that people who don't use chromebooks, or who prefer native apps over PWAs, are simply ignorant, pending their enlightenment after hearing the gospel of chrome.

Anyhow, you list a number of apps that are seemingly happy with the PWA tradeoffs, so it would seem more productive to try and convince those to get parity with Zotero. Shouldn't be hard for them to do the way you describe it.
    I'm not sure why you're being so hostile, I never insulted you. You seem to have a lot of misconceptions about Chrome and the Debian Linux system that it runs, but that's beside the point. It's not 1995, so you don't need a Windows executable to do OCR. Unless you're running a local LLM, you're not going to do better than any web-based service, especially GPT-4. And Git is a web service, so the idea that you need a local executable to interface with it instead of an API is...odd.
    It has been said here and extensively discussed on other threads in this forum that there are plans to provide significant improvements to the Zotero web presence. No one has questioned that you and other people with security concerns may not be able to install their own software on work-owned computers. (I am a bit puzzled that you would be allowed to use your own self-hosted Zotero application if restrictions are concerned with disclosure of sensitive information.)

You should know that it is possible to run Zotero without syncing. Is your organization's issue concern about Zotero capturing metadata via the web? There is a great deal of information about security protections available that you can share with your tech support team.

There is a local version of the Zotero server but that comes without support from the Zotero team.

Several of us are trying to help, notwithstanding our perception that it is you who are being hostile [your use of the term crapware]. Perhaps, if you step back and use different words to explain what you want and describe what you need that you believe Zotero doesn't provide. Explain in more detail the nature of the restrictions you are facing from your employer. Especially, please describe what you think that the other bibliography management software you mentioned can do that Zotero cannot.

Until now your question and criticisms of Zotero have had little or nothing to do with GPT or LLM.

Edit: You commented on MS Office 365. You should know that for years that Zotero is largely compatible with Word 365. Zotero is compatible with Google Docs. Zotero is compatible with LibreOffice Writer.

Is the crux of your needs that you want a version of Zotero that will work better with a ChromeBook and online word processor?
    Hi DWL-SDCA,
    don't be puzzled. I have an old mini-pc which I use as my proxmox home-server.
    the problem isn't syncing but the AGPL licence :( (I've had the same problem with the Anki and I got warning)
    my current workaround is using Zotero inside Kasmvnc webtop Linux desktop. And it works. I think a self-hosted Web based version of zotero could be used by research organisations, universities and schools too.
    best regards, Shahram
  • This is getting a bit muddled. @ProudChamp wasn't the OP and presumably just wants to run a version of Zotero with something approaching full functionality on an ARM-based Chromebook. That will be addressed by a future version of Zotero for ARM Linux, not the web library.

@ProudChamp, the reason people are responding to you this way is because you came here and confidently asserted that we're wrong about the limitations of a web app without seeming to actually understand the technical issues — you're misunderstanding either the scope of Zotero's desktop functionality or what's possible in a PWA, and don't seem interested in the details. I've taken the time to explain many of the things that wouldn't be possible in a PWA, and you've ignored almost everything I've said and instead suggested that…we're installing "crapware" on people's computers?

I'm not sure why you're even posting to this thread, which is about a self-hosted web version of Zotero, not a PWA of the zotero.org web library.

I don't think engaging with you is really worth more of anyone's time, but since we're here:
    I also find it strange to mention native word processor integration as a feature when even Microsoft has all but abandoned offline Office suite
    What are you talking about? Microsoft 365 includes their offline suite, which is updated all the time and used by millions of people — including the millions of Zotero users using Zotero with Word. Do you actually know anything about Zotero? The online version of Word doesn't yet even support the basic API features we need to create an equivalent plugin (though we're working with Microsoft to make that possible).

We also support LibreOffice (which Mendeley dropped support for when they switched to a website wrapper), and even our Google Docs integration can be used with a local Zotero library via a local HTTP server.
    And Git is a completely web-based service
    The Zotero app itself doesn't integrate with git, so that wouldn't have been my example (I would've said, say, launching external PDF readers with command-line parameters, calling 'osascript' to integrate with Word on macOS, calling 'mv' to efficiently migrate large folders on macOS and Linux, etc.), but…git isn't a "service" and doesn't inherently have anything to do with the web? Are you thinking of GitHub? You're just out of your depth here.
    You seem to have a lot of misconceptions about Chrome and the Debian Linux system that it runs
    You're the one talking about PWAs! If you want to brag about your Chromebook actually running Linux, then nothing you're posting here makes any sense. Zotero — the actual app, with all the functionality that's not possible in a PWA — runs on x86_64 Chromebooks and will likely run on ARM Chromebooks in the future.

I don't know what you're trying to accomplish here, but you don't seem to know what you're talking about and don't seem interested in understanding, so I think we can just be done.

@shahram7: Some self-hosted version of the web library that somehow replicated all of the Zotero desktop functionality using local server storage and network access would be a completely different project from anything we create, so no use holding out hope for that. As I say, we'll continue to improve the official web library — we added annotation creation a few days ago — but that's never going to be a full replacement for the desktop app.
  • I think accusing Zotero to be a vector for "crapware" (or being crapware itself) is pretty hostile, no?
  • "git is entirely web based" LOL.
  • edited December 30, 2023
    btw I'm the maintainer of the zotero package for x86 chromebooks. This is just too funny. Thanks man, I needed a laugh.
This discussion has been closed.