can't add to library

I'm a new user - just downloaded Zotero, and I can't add anything to my library. I've tried from websites, EBSCOhost, Medline - I click on add to Zotero, get a message that it's saving the citations, but my Zotero library remains empty. I've tried on 2 computers (PC, Windows 7, running Mozilla 5.0/Firefox 3.5.4). Any thoughts?
  • Sometimes there are strange issues with gated resources. Could you just try grabbing this book from Amazon? http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Deathly-Hallows-Book/dp/0545010225
  • I just tried it - I got the message that it was saving the citation, but my library is still empty. Any other thoughts?
  • Restart Firefox and make sure the items aren't there. If not, try saving again, and then post a Report ID.
  • I can't find the Zotero toolbar that is supposed to have an "actions" menu, and when I click on Tools --> Error Console after having just tried to add a citation to Zotero, no error message appears. So, I don't know how to report this error. I'm a professor trying to help a couple of research students use Zotero, and one of my students has had this same problem - she installed Firefox, then Zotero, but after apparently adding citations (i.e. the window pops up that says "saving..."), her library remains empty, so it appears that it's not just me (and I've tried this on 2 computers now, one running Vista and the other running Windows 7). Any advice about how to report this error?
  • The Zotero toolbar is the strip of icons at the top of the Zotero pane. The linked page shows the gear icon of the Actions menu.
  • Maybe something went wrong with the installation then, because I don't have a strip of icons at the top of the Zotero pane. I can see from the demo video where they should be, but I don't have that on my Zotero screen.
  • Take a screenshot and send it to support@zot....org, with a link to this thread.
  • Okay, I did that - thanks.
  • do you have any unusual FF add-ons installed? Have you tried disabling all add-ons except FF and restarting Firefox?
  • edited October 29, 2009
    You don't have the Zotero pane open. You're just looking at the Zotero website. You need to click on "Zotero" in the Firefox status bar to open Zotero and view your items.

I'd highly recommend starting with the Quick Start Guide.
  • Oh, wow - I feel like an idiot now! I'm sorry to have wasted your time, but thanks for helping me. I guess it's true that teachers are sometimes the worst at following simple directions! NOW I see all of the MANY citations I've been adding, thanks...