I can't consistently highlight pdfs within Zotero

I can highlight some pdfs in Zotero, and others I cannot. I was thinking that the issue was that some pdfs were ocr and some weren't. So I created all the pages as editable using Acrobat, and then reimported into Zotero. No luck. I can annotate in Adobe and the highlights show up in Zotero and can still be collected in a note. Is this the process I should use? I guess I'm asking for the optimal workflow if I want to annotate pdfs that I store in Zotero.
  • I sometimes find the OCR in PDFs from JSTOR underwhelming. When I then use the OCR by Adobe Acrobat on those files, I am happy with the result inside Zotero. Maybe worth a try.
  • I think I understand your point, but I was using the ADobe Acrobat editor... Thank you though.
  • @cclark1979 Could you please send an example PDF file for investigation to support@zotero.org, including a link to this thread?
  • @cclark1979 The problem is with rotated text. We are aware about the issue and have plans to improve that.
  • edited December 22, 2023
    Thank you. When I view the pdf, it doesn't look rotated? How would one know if text is rotated or not? Can I rotate it again and then OCR? file:///C:/Users/Char%20Clark/Downloads/The_neighborhood_as_commons_re%20(1).PDF
  • Normally, OCR software can auto-rotate text, but it's unclear why some pages in your PDF aren't rotated. It varies with different OCR tools.