AMA: 6 authors instead of 3 before "et al"?

Hi - My thesis requires AMA formatting and Zotero is listing the first 3 authors then et al. Instead, I need it to list the first 6, per AMA. Is there a way to make this work? Thanks
  • edited December 12, 2023
    See:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step

This may look complicated but it is quite straightforward when you use text-editing software NOT word processor software

Pay attention to the instructions about changing the style title and ID.

In the style bibliography section--

Changing Et-al Abbreviation

There are two main settings for et-al abbreviation (e.g., rendering the names “Doe, Smith & Johnson” as “Doe et al.”). The minimum number of names that activates et-al abbreviation, and the number of names shown before “et al.”.

In CSL, these settings can appear on the style, citation, bibliography or names elements in the form of the et-al-min and et-al-use-first attributes (it is possible to have separate settings for items that have been cited previously by using the et-al-subsequent-min and et-al-subsequent-use-first attributes).

For example,

<citation et-al-min="3" et-al-use-first="1">

</citation>

will result in name lists like “Doe”, “Doe & Smith” and, if there are three or more names, “Doe et al.”. Try changing these numbers and observe the effect.

You want to change that to:
    et-al-min="6" et-al-use-first="6"

• But just to be clear: AMA 11th edition says to use et al starting at 7 authors, but then only list the first three followed by et al, which is exactly what Zotero's AMA style implements
  • edited December 12, 2023
    I understood that you were required to alter the standard AMA style.

What adamsmith says is correct.

Please confirm with your supervisor what is required (Standard AMA 11 or a modified version of AMA style).
  • Ah!! Thank you for both answers. The clarification is super-helpful and I'll keep the tech-y style modification in my back pocket for later. Much appreciated!