the "Extra" Field when citing books

Hello,
I use the "Chicago Manual of Style 17th Edition with Ibid" in my citations. However, I've encountered an issue where my "Extra" field doesn't appear in any of my citations, except if it includes the characters "DOI." How can I configure Zotero to incorporate the extra field whenever it contains any information, even if it's just words without a link or DOI?

Thank you.
  • What are you trying to enter in Extra that you want to appear in your bibliography?
  • I want to add additional information about the original title of the book before translation. So, simply just words.
  • The appropriate way to add the original title (or other citation fields like DOI, etc) is to write it like this in Extra:
    Original title: This is the original title

Any valid CSL field can be added that way and styles that are written to use those variables will show them https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/item_types_and_fields
  • Thank you for your prompt response. However, the contents in the "Extra" field only appear if it starts with "DOI"; otherwise, the content does not show in my citation. Could this be a problem in the code of the style itself?
  • edited December 10, 2023
    You need to specify the CSL variable type that you are entering as an extra, not just the value:
    https://docs.citationstyles.org/en/stable/specification.html#appendix-iv-variables

For example, use original-title as the type for your original title.
    Then the style must actually use that variable type. It should be the case if its guidelines say that this information must be included in citations.
  • edited December 10, 2023
    Please look at my example:

Original title: This is the original title

The first part is the CSL variable name (original-title in this case; you can capitalize and use spaces to make it more readable for you), then a colon, then the title
  • This is very helpful. I did use "original-title" in the Extra field, but it did not show up in the citation. However, when I put the needed information in the URL field, it does show up.

I am using "Chicago Style 17th Edition with Note and Ibid" style.

Any thoughts?
  • As others said -- you need to modify the citation style for additional variables to show up. I don't think many (any?) citation styles work out of the box for this.
  • You're right! I worked on it last night and figured it all out. I have edited my style to add all the fields I need.

Thank you for your help!