Zotero Beta: PDF reader is not smooth when scroll using Mouse

my PC is macbook Air M2 8GB 512GB version,
zotero beta 43+
no adds on work
-----------------
PDF reader is not smooth and very slow when scroll it using any mouse.
i tried differerent kind of mouse but still keep the same.
However, everything goes well when i use the trackpad ~
i checked that this happens not only in my computer, it also happens in my colleges.
  • That just sounds like your mouse settings. The scroll wheel can usually be configured to either scroll a set number of lines or smoothly. E.g., on a Logitech mouse here, I get line-by-line scrolling by default in any program, but I can turn on smooth scrolling in the mouse settings.
  • i am not sure about that, i also use the Logitech mouse (three different series), and i use MOS to turn on smooth scrolling. it seems that i cant scroll it very fast, everything runs well if i just scroll slowly. While the pdf will move delayedly if i scroll it very fast.
  • That's just loading speed of the PDF reader. You should see the same performance in Firefox, on which Zotero is based. It's not comparable to macOS Preview, which will be much faster.
  • seems like that, but another thing is that if you open a pdf and stay there and do nothing for a while, same thing (move slowly) will also happen when you restart to scroll the pdf. all the "bug" i said above only exist in the beta 28+ version. everything runs very well when i installed the beta 28 version
  • i mean this "bug" only exist in 29 to 43 beta version
  • edited October 4, 2023
    If you can reproduce a problem with a specific PDF, send it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread. But you should compare performance in Firefox, or in the pdf.js demo. Zotero's performance should be roughly similar.
  • ok sure thanks for your reply
  • I have this problem, too! I use Logi M590 both in my Macbook Pro and iMac, the problem is described as luxueqiang did. My Zotero version is 7.0.0-beta.46+c27bac2ad.
    In other PDF reader such as PDF expert, the speed is much faster than in Zotero.
  • @WangWaud Again, could you compare the performance with Firefox PDF viewer, as suggested in the previous comment?
  • @martynas_b, I don't use Firefox, but I tried Edge. The Edge PDF viewer is as fast as PDF expert did
  • @WangWaud The goal is to determine whether the problem is inside Zotero or inside PDF.js viewer which is the same as in Firefox.
  • I have exactly the same issue. My scroll speed is super fast in every application expect Zotero Desktop - there, it is super slow. It makes it really hard to work like this.

Zotero Desktop 6.0.27
    Operating System: KDE neon 5.27
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.8
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.110.0

• @pb18citation Does it work better with Zotero 7 beta?
  • edited November 8, 2023
    @martynas_b, yes, much better now! Thank you!

Brief documentation:

I downloaded Zotero 7 beta
    https://www.zotero.org/support/beta_builds

Downloaded Linux 64-bit
    https://www.zotero.org/download/client/dl?platform=linux-x86_64&channel=beta

Extracted and run Zotero in Konsole
    cd zotero
    ./zotero

• @martynas_b, Thanks for your comment. For this, I downloaded Firefox(119.0.1 (64-bit)), and I opened the PDF file via Firefox. It was as smooth as Edge or PDF expert did, which is much smoother than that in Zotero.
  • @WangWaud You should try Zotero 7 beta as well.
  • I'm not sure if I fully understand your advice. I tested the same PDF file in both Firefox(119.0.1 (64-bit)) and Zotero7.0.0-beta.51. Just as I mentioned, opening it in Firefox was as smooth as Edge or PDF expert did, which is much smoother than that in Zotero7.0.0-beta.51.
  • Does anybody know how to solve this? This really affects the experience of reading.
  • @WangWaud But the scrolling is smooth if you just use touchpad, right?
  • @martynas_b, yes! you're right
  • @martynas_b I'm wondering if anything changes after 4 months? These days I tried to remove the add-ons that I used, but even if I turn off all of them, the reader with the mouse is still not smooth.

By the way, did you solve this problem? @luxueqiang

Anyway, thanks!
  • this problem is accidentally solved when i reinstall my MacOS..., although it will also reappear sometimes, but very few! by the way, after i reinstall the MacOS, the memory leakage also disappear...

@WangWaud i hope this provides you some inspiration
  • Thanks for answering! @luxueqiang

Let me make sure what's the current version of your MasOS.

And did you update it or just reinstall it?
  • I am using latest Sonoma 14.4 and i totally reinstall the mac. but i am not sure if that's the reason. please check. @WangWaud