Journal articles with co-first authors

Is there a way to indicate that a Journal articles has co-first authors?
For example:
Walls RL, Cooper L, Elser J, Gandolfo MA, Mungall CJ, Smith B, Stevenson DW, Jaiswal P (2019) The Plant Ontology Facilitates Comparisons of Plant Development Stages Across Species. Front Plant Sci. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2019.00631
First two are co-first authors as shown in the HTML version, but this is not shown in the bibliography or the citation: (Walls et al., 2019)

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpls.2019.00631/full?&utm_source=Email_to_authors_&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=T1_11.5e1_author&utm_campaign=Email_publication&field=&journalName=Frontiers_in_Plant_Science&id=444267

Citation should be: (Walls and Cooper et al., 2019)
  • No, sorry. Neither Zotero nor the citation styles it uses can do this.
    I'll note that this also isn't available as information anywhere in the metadata nor widely used as a norm for handling papers with multiple 'first' authors in citations, including by the journal itself: you'll see Walls et al. in the header of the PDF version of the paper.
  • Thanks for the reply. This would be a useful feature
  • The way I have indicated (or seen others indicate) this for a CV is one of the following:

1. Add a * after the co-first names and add a note after the reference (I modified the CSL style to use the “references” variable and entered the note in Extra like `References: Co-first authors`

2. Put the co-first author names in bold by puttting <b> </b> tags around the last names.

3. Each co-first author putting their name first on their CV so that their first status is recognized as such.