Why: Only 9 tags in each library can have colors assigned?

I have various tags which I planned to group into categories using their color, e.g., tags A and B are green, tags C to F are yellow, and G to Z are blue.
I saw that there are a maximum of 9 different colors available for tags. It makes sense to me to limit the number of COLORS.
However, in my case where I assign the same color to multiple tags which also seems to be limited to 9 for which I have a hard time to understand the logic behind.
Why can't I assign the same color to 10 different tags and assign the other 8 colors to 8 other tags?
Thanks in advance for clarification!
  • Colored tags are also assignable using the number keys on your keyboard. Typing 1-9 will assign the colored tag in that position to the selected items. Typing 0 will remove all colored tags.
  • I understand that point and I understand the limitation of having only 9 keys (1-9) for the "hotkeys" to quickly assign a colored tag.

However, if one assigns multiple times the same color the other colors become unavailable.
    In this case it would make sense to assign hotkeys (1-9) to specific tags (max. 9, independently of their color) and independently being able to assign (a limited number of) colors to some tags.

This would mean to separate the 9 special hotkey tags from the 9 colors and let the user choose the colors freely.
  • I don't think this makes sense. Part of the point of the colors and numbers being linked is that the colors appear at the top of the tag selector, in the order of their assigned numbers, so that you can easily remember which tag has which number. And the reason you can safely assign colors via single keypresses is that you have the visual feedback of the color right in the item list. Without the colors, you'd have no way of knowing whether a tag was applied or removed. And I think it would very confusing to show a color in the items list that potentially corresponded to an unnumbered tag that you couldn't toggle off with the number key assigned to that color.
  • It is great that you can filter tags by a key press, but this is for sure a secondary function of the tags. Seeing coloured tags on files is most useful for organisation and a fast visual overview. As actual items cannot be coloured (this would be great) tags are all we have for a non text based overview. IT would be great that the secondary use of tags (the key press) does not limit thier primary use - Tagging. It would be a trivial change to have a colour picker for any tag, and versy useful.
  • In my workflow, I work in parallel with many projects. I would like to assign colour de novo in each subcollection belonged to separate project. A workflow that is available in Zotero in advance limits reference management across all the library except the first where I assigned coloured tags. Thus, it forces me not to use tags for other projects but the first, at all.