Unable to store files with long file names

I am unable to use the "Store Copy of File..." command on certain files, such as one named "2004, M. Arnaud Varvella, M. C. Angonin, and Ph. Tourrenc, Increase of the Number of Detectable Gravitational Waves Signals Due to Gravitational Lensing.pdf". I am guessing it's the length of the file name that's causing the problem; but this is a legal file name in Windows.
  • Yes, I have the same issue with files with long names. Is there a way to fix this? (except shortening the file names ;))
  • I think in Windows the maximum allowed file name length depends on the folder in which the file is to reside. Thus, when using "Store Copy of File ...", Zotero tries to put a file of the same (long) name in a folder which can't have such long file names. Can anyone confirm that this is the probable reason?
  • It is rather probable. Such a long name will rather easily result in a path that has too many characters (the limit under FAT32 and NTFS is 260):

http://www.comentum.com/File-Systems-HFS-FAT-UFS.html
  • What happens if you try to copy the file to such a deep directory manually in Explorer?
  • You get an error:

Cannot copy <filename>: The file name you specified is not valid or too
    long. Specify a different file name.