Zotero 7 beta: Strange annotation behavior in webpage snapshot

edited November 4, 2023
  • hi,
    i found the annotation of epub and web pages so useful that i abandoned v6 for the beta7

i was perusing today this webpage: https://thewalrus.ca/ai-poetry/
    which has a strange behaviour: if i import it by the Firefox connector it remains dead (nothing selectable) while if i import it by the Safari connector i can select and associate a colour annotation; but the coloured background does not appear even if the annotation is present in the sidebar on the left.

don't know if this is a 'feature' of the site, or if it has to do with something to setup in the beta7

best
    Maurizio
  • I noticed that even on Safari the text selection stopped working at a certain point. Looks like a problem with the page, it probably opens a popup and puts an invisible layer that prevents interacting with text.
  • Try to close all popups before saving the snapshot.
  • any way to edit the html and delete the invisible layer?
    M
  • ... because if more pages than few put this invisible layer, the usefulness of having snapshot pages 'to use' disappears and one comes back to the need for saving PDF copies of web pages in order to annotate their content
    no way to have Zotero put in action a cleaning of web pages from invisible layers blocking or impeding the annotation?
    Maurizio
  • the same happens with the snapshot from https://aoc.media/opinion/2023/11/08/israel-palestine-comment-liberer-la-parole/

i can select the text but when i colorize it nothing happens on the snapshot;
    even if in left the annotated passage appears, and with the right color indication

this recurring behaviour makes me thinking that it has to do with something in the 7beta
  • edited November 12, 2023
    i discovered that the strange behaviour

[i can select the text but when i colorize it nothing happens on the snapshot; even if in left the annotated passage appears, and with the right color indication]

happens for me in 3 snapshots whose text content is base64-encoded.

should it be confirmed, it would be useful that in those snapshots the base64 encoded text would be decoded; or that Zotero offered a choice to the user for keeping the text as is or for decoding it
  • Base64 encoding is used for images, not text. That's not relevant here.

But we'll investigate this.