PDF automatic renaming not working

Hello,
in Zotero, I used to be able to automatically rename my linked pdf, when the name was not proper, by right-clicking on the Zotero entry and checking a box saying "rename PDF" or sthg similar. For a reason I do not know, now this option is not available anymore. So when I right-click I have no possibility of renaming automatically the PDF.
Why what was working perfectly well does no work anymore, and how can I recover this functionality?
Thanks a lot!
  • Well, first, you're talking about "automatic" renaming but then describing manual renaming. Zotero does indeed rename all files you save from the web automatically based on the parent metadata, and by default it will also rename files you drag in from the filesystem as stored files. Linked files aren't renamed my default, but there's an option to do so. So generally you wouldn't need to use the manual option.

But "Rename File from Parent Metadata" certainly still exists. Can you take a screenshot of where you're looking, upload it somewhere (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.), and provide a link here?
  • Hello, thanks for your reply. Yes indeed I was not precise enough... Actually I can that none work anymore, nor automatic renaming, nor manual renaming.
    When I import an article or reference from the web, the downloaded pdf has the name "Full Text PDF", and that for every item I download. And when I right-clik on the imported item in Zotero, I do not have the renaming option I used to have....
    Here is a link to the screenshots...
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/qmntu84gry4u6sbobcc7a/h?rlkey=57x6giprvlykwxg15n91zz6jx&dl=0
  • When I import an article or reference from the web, the downloaded pdf has the name "Full Text PDF"
    No, that's just a misunderstanding. That's the attachment title, and it has always been different from the filename. The actual file is named based on the parent metadata, as you can see if you click the attachment and look in the right-hand pane or right-click → Show File.

"Rename File from Parent Metadata" appears when you right-click on the attachment, not the parent item, but again, you should almost never need to run that.

If you're actually using the Zotero 7 beta (in which case be sure to say so), there's been a change to how the manual option works — it no longer changes the attachment title to match the filename, which was never appropriate behavior. Many more details in that thread.
  • Ah ok.... you are right! This is this change in Zotero 7 beta you are talking about. Ok... I will read the thread!
    Thanks a lot for your time, and your help. This is OK.
  • edited November 1, 2023
    Since you are using the Zotero 7 beta, it's also possible you are referring to missing the right-click Manage Attachments\Rename and Move which is a feature of the Zotfile plugin (which also auto-renames PDFs as they are downloaded by the Zotero web connector).

Zotfile does not work in Zotero 7. The still-developing alternatives are discussed here:
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/104858/on-zotfile-development-and-zotero-7#latest