Problem with citing DVDs in Chicago Style

Hi,

I'm having a problem citing DVDs in Chicago Style. It seems like the Zotero option for item type Video recording lacks some basic fields like those differentiating between original screening date and DVD publication date.

I found this old message on the forum which already addressed the same problem but went unanswered, so I am just going to put it here again, in hope that somebody can answer this now.

---

From https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/24860/dvd-citations-in-chicago-style/

"According to the manual the chicago style reference for a DVD should be:

Dial M for Murder. DVD. Directed by Alfred Hitchcock. 1954; Burbank, CA: Warner Home Video, 2004.

And this is what Zotero is inserting in my footnotes:

Bob Foss et al., Pumaens Datter/La Hija del
Puma, DVD (Sweden: Domino Film & TV-Produktion: Distribution Statens Filmcentral, 1995)"

---
Anybody has any idea? Thanks!
  • No, nothing new. Zotero currently neither has multiple citation dates, nor are we able to properly handle movie directors.
  • Hmmm. Thanks. Any special reason this is this not on the Agenda?
    Basically it means the better option would be to edit this citation manually, wouldn't it?
  • It's on the agenda along with other item type changes. Reason it's not happening super soon is that item type and field changes require sync architecture changes, so it's (much) more than just adding a couple of fields.
  • OK. So, if I wanted to do the formatting by myself and then just create a fixed text-item which will only the formatted text of my citation, for zotero to introduce into the bibliography(in order to fill the void left by missing item types or item types which don't work properly such as a Youtube video, or DVD films) is there anyway to do that?
  • sorry, I don't understand the question, looks like it's missing a verb.
  • Yeah, I missed a verb...
    I'll try this again:

OK. So, if I wanted to do the formatting by myself and then just create a fixed text-item which will include a manually prepared citation for Zotero to introduce into the bibliography(in order to fill the void left by such missing item types such as a Youtube videos, or items which is not supported properly like DVD films) is there any way to do that?

(Meanwhile, I decided to do just that, using the "Document" item type and pasting my manually prepared citation in the "Title" field.
    However, I'm afraid the item won't get sorted in the right place when I produce my final bibliography, so this is still not a proper solution)

What would you do if you still needed to cite an item-type not properly supported by Zotero?

Thanks for your help, again.
  • I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "a fixed text-item which will include a manually prepared citation for Zotero" but if you mean just tell Zotero a custom citation to insert for a given item then the answer is bascially no. I'd add a couple of special characters to the item in Zotero that reminds you to manually edit it at the end.
  • this was almost 10 years ago -- this has not been fixed. I am trying to cite videos. it is NOT in accordance with chicago for videos.
  • The CSL project is an open-source project that is separate from Zotero/Mendeley/Papers/RefWorks... It is a public repository of styles (and more) that was built and is maintained by volunteers such as adamsmith, bwiernik, rmzelle, myself, and a bunch more.
    We do this for the love of academia, unpaid, in our free time. Please respect that. Coming here being demanding will not get you far, I'm afraid.