Problems in google docs

I'm attempting to use Zotero in google docs and I get the error: 'Zotero experienced an error updating your document.' - it sends me to the following troubleshooting page (https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/debugging_broken_documents), but I've tried all of the options and they don't work.

I initially wrote sections of the document in Word (with Zotero citations), and uploaded this to google docs. I wrote other sections in other word documents, and copied and pasted this into the same google doc. At every point I used Zotero citations in Word, but found that when I uploaded or copied these portions into the google doc, the citations were no longer linked. At that point, I decided it was a problem for later.

I'm now attempting to use the Zotero extension in google docs, and it comes up with this error. I've tried to creating a copy of the document, and it has the same error. I can create a new doc, and paste sections in, and no error appears. There is a chance that I could copy and paste the entire document into a new doc and it would be fine, but as it is shared, I want to avoid doing this. Is there anything else that could be causing the problem in the original doc?

Thank you!
  • Restarting the computer solved it! The error was showing up incorrectly (which fixed on restarting the computer), so I'll leave the solution here for anyone else encountering the same problem: because I had uploaded the initial portion of the document, it was reading as a word document in google drive, rather than a google doc (to the best of my understanding). By going to File > Save as Google Docs, this fixed the problem.