Monochrome emoji after latest Windows update

This discussion was created from comments split from: Zotero not rendering some emojis correctly.
  • Mine were fine up until I opened Zotero today. Why would something that was working fine, be broken suddenly?
  • @andreemcaron: We'd need a specific example and a Report ID.
  • edited October 9, 2023
    I also have the same issue. When I installed the lasted update(KB5030310) of windows11, the emoji does not render correctly in the zotero. But the emoji works fine in other software. I tried to update my zotero to the beta version, but the emoji still not render correctly.
  • @Jinao: Same answer. If it helps, you can take a screenshot, upload it somewhere (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.), and provide a link here.
  • Report ID:1149136086

The problem was taking place after I installed the lasted update of Windows11. Before that, zotero could render the emoji correctly. I guess it's a bug of Windwos11?

Screenshot links: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1BXPdSTPUqj673yXz3UWBHIzvlZD6JSLx?usp=drive_link
  • edited October 8, 2023
    That’s not a public link.
  • What are you saying is incorrect about those? That is just the Windows style of emoji
  • Not that. Before I installed the update of Windows, Zotero is the same as Windows rendering emoji. After updating Windows, the emoji in the Zotero is not the same as Windows, which shows in the screenshots I uploaded and the emoji in the Zotero seems lost their color.
  • But is that happening for all emoji (e.g., faces), or just the ones that predate emoji as monochrome symbols?

If the latter, this is likely fixed in the Zotero 7 beta.
  • It's happening for all emoji. I uploaded more cases to the Google Drive.
    links here:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1BXPdSTPUqj673yXz3UWBHIzvlZD6JSLx?usp=sharing
  • edited October 9, 2023
    And I tested it on my another computer which does not install the lastes update of Windows, fouding that everything works fine. Zotero renders all emoij correctly.
  • it is happening also to me for the emojis and monochrome symbols after the latest windows update. Both emojis and symbols are now rendered flat and monocholor. Is there a fix for zotero 6? I haven't made the jump yet to the latest version.
  • Did you manually install a Windows Update Preview? What version an OS build of Windows are you on under Settings -> System -> About?
  • edited October 10, 2023
    Sorry, it was thanksgiving weekend here in Canada + the beginning of cold season!

Windows 11, since the last update too.
    Edition Windows 11 Home
    Version 22H2
    Installed on ‎2022-‎11-‎08
    OS build 22621.2361
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22674.1000.0

Report ID: 1813972638

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1thAYJDj77eU97sE--WizdCXZ9XaKdpsp/view?usp=sharing
  • Yes, this is a preview (beta) Windows build, although Microsoft seems to have released a new build yesterday, so you should try updating and see if it fixes itself.
  • I just installed the latest update of Windows released yesterday. It still has the emoji rendering problem in the Zotero.
  • In my case I fetched the update regularly from the windows updater. My settings are:

Edition Windows 11 Pro
    Version 22H2
    Installed on ‎9/‎25/‎2022
    OS build 22621.2361
  • @Jinao @marcodepp you should make sure you are running Windows Build 22621.2428 and see if you can still reproduce the issue.
  • edited October 11, 2023
    It still has the emoji rendering problem in the Zotero.
    Here is my Windows info:
    Edition Windows 11 Home
    Version 22H2
    Installed on 11/‎17/2022
    OS build 22621.2428
  • Could you create a new temporary windows user account and check if you see the same issue there?
  • I create a new windows installation on the virtual machine and update it to the lastest version (22621.2428). It does not have the emoji rendering problem!!! But My physical installation Windows still has the emoji rendering problem. It's weird.
  • Could you create a new Windows user account on your physical machine?
  • I updated and no change.
    I will try creating a second account and see if that changes anything. Can you explain how that could have an effect?
  • We don't know — that's why we're debugging it. We can't reproduce this in our Win11 installs.
  • I have the exact same issue. My emoji were just fine yesterday and now they are black and white on my two (automatically updated) Windows machines.

My windows info are :
    Édition Windows 11 Professionnel
    Version 22H2
    Installé le ‎08-‎10-‎22 (08th of October)
    Build du système d’exploitation 22621.2428
    Expérience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22674.1000.0

My Zotero version is 6.0.27
  • edited October 13, 2023
    We'll need someone who's affected by this to try in a new Windows user account.
  • edited October 15, 2023
    I also had the same issue. My emoji turned black and white after the Windows system was updated. Different emojis in both rating column ang tags all lost color. links here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gtYOsNBhzyfnYKIxwZx0FiFtySncKR29/view?usp=sharing

Interestingly, I change the value of the advanced settings, which makes the colors came back, but the emoji also changes. It's a bit hard for me to describe it clearly, so here I attached a picture: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e_1yk_2ZiVE9u7UpqhBdXNmp0goJaYrm/view?usp=sharing

My windows info are:
    Edition Windows 11 家庭中文版
    Version 22H2
    Installed on ‎2023/‎1/‎28
    OS build 22621.2428
    My zotero version is 6.0.27
  • I am also having the exact same problem. My emojis are monochrome after the latest Windows update.

My Windows info:

Edition: Windows 11 Pro
    Version: 22H2
    OS build: 22621.2428
    Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22674.1000.0

Zotero version: 6.0.27
  • @hanyc1213: Those aren't public links.

Again, we need someone experiencing this to test in a new Windows user account. Please don't post further to this thread unless you're willing to do that or have other new information. Just saying you're seeing this isn't helpful.