Cannot use Zotero Connector For PDFs

Error Code: 595443410

When I search someone in Google scholar and then open the pdf, Zotero Connector does nothing. Here are some examples:

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1359105303008002669?casa_token=txw1veCN_EIAAAAA:9vw9KSM9PcpqbDRm-PKDXYICboouVcLYXzwGuLtYNARaDMHblSgQ9rsWDfZon9aRx1qSGsDJwodZ

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.humanscience.org/docs/Barrett (2004) Ch.1,2,3,6,8,notes Why Would Anyone Believe in God.pdf

Does it have something to do with it having "chrome-extension" in front of the url?
  • edited June 2, 2022
    Yes, you can't save to Zotero when viewing PDFs through the Acrobat browser extension. You need to be viewing the remote PDF directly in the browser.

(Note that for Sage and other publisher sites you'd always want to save from the article page anyway, not the PDF, and Zotero will automatically download the PDF along with the metadata.)
  • edited September 26, 2023
    I had this issue, which was really frustrating (many journals/platforms, like J-Stor, don't allow the Zotero plugin to download the pdf from the article page, so you have to go through to the pdf) and just solved it by removing the Adobe Extension from Chrome (jigsaw piece icon — 3 dots next to Adobe extension — "Remove from Chrome"). Now pdfs download and open in the browser and the plugin works again.

F*ck Adobe and their pdf monopoly!
  • @ben.hjorth: Just to clarify, sites don't "allow" or not allow Zotero to download PDFs. Zotero implements saving from various sites, and we've always supported JSTOR. JSTOR is unique in that you have to accept the terms and conditions before saving will work, though. But you should absolutely be able to save from the article page on JSTOR and get the PDF.

If you're having trouble with saving PDFs from a particular site, let us know in a new thread.
  • So glad I found this thread. Turned off Adobe Extension on Chrome, and can finally save articles (PDF) to my library!