Sync failed and other related problems (ID: 1735213263)

I have never been able to do a sync with server. Previously this has not been an issue since I only work on one computer, but now that I am using group libraries, it is started to bother me.

I have a collection of approximately 5000 articles. When I click on the sync button, the sync goes on for a minute or two and stops with an error.

[JavaScript Error: "Error processing uploaded data (Report ID: f6c114dd)" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 783}]

Report ID: 1735213263

I have read and tried the rouble shootign instructiosn here http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/troubleshooting_sync_errors, but none of these help since it seems that Zotero cannot upload some items at all. If I knew what these items were, I could just delete them.

When I look at my library on Zotero site, It only shows that I have 1380 entries in my library. Moreover, some of these entries have the data added-field set in the future (e.g. 2009-12-29 04:20) This can be checked for example at this link http://www.zotero.org/mronkko/items?itemPage=56)
  • I have never been able to do a sync with server.
    Well, it would seem you synced in March, at least. That's when the 1380 items are from.

That server error message is a timeout. It should be temporary, and I'd be a bit surprised if you couldn't get a sync to go through, but it's possible that you have just enough modified data to get a timeout consistently. (There are actually libraries with tens of thousands of items on the server, but those items were likely imported and synced in batches.) We're working on improving syncing for people with larger libraries, though, and we hope to have this working soon.
    Moreover, some of these entries have the data added-field set in the future (e.g. 2009-12-29 04:20) This can be checked for example at this link http://www.zotero.org/mronkko/items?itemPage=56)
    I can't view that page, but are you sure it's not 2008?
  • edited September 22, 2009
    [quote]Well, it would seem you synced in March, at least. That's when the 1380 items are from.[/quote]

This is a partial sync only. I started using Zotero by importing my endnote library of approximately 4000 items.

[quote]We're working on improving syncing for people with larger libraries, though, and we hope to have this working soon.[/quote]

Looking forward to this. Are there any other workarounds except removing a large number of items and then adding these in batches?

[quote]I can't view that page, but are you sure it's not 2008? [/quote]

Yes, I am sure that it is not 2008. This is copy-paste from the page. Locally stored references show correct date added-field values.

How do I properly quite a message?
  • Now that I have posted this, the sync started to work magically. I have been trying to sync several times and only now I got an error message that a tag that I had was too long. After deleting this tag, sync seems to proceed like it should.
    This is a partial sync only. I started using Zotero by importing my endnote library of approximately 4000 items.
    The entire sync upload is in a single transaction, so a "partial sync" isn't really possible...or shouldn't be.
    Are there any other workarounds except removing a large number of items and then adding these in batches?
    For now, trying in off-hours is your best bet (as much as is possible with software that's used around the world).
    Yes, I am sure that it is not 2008. This is copy-paste from the page.
    We'll take a look. There are no dates in the future in the database, so this would seem to be a display-only issue. Can you provide an individual item URI where you're seeing this?
    How do I properly quite a message?
    <blockquote> </blockquote>
    I got an error message that a tag that I had was too long.
    Just to be sure, you got a nice little wizard to help you with this, right?
    The entire sync upload is in a single transaction, so a "partial sync" isn't really possible...or shouldn't be.
    I do not know what happened, but that sync from earlier this year did not include all of my items for some reason.
    We'll take a look. There are no dates in the future in the database, so this would seem to be a display-only issue. Can you provide an individual item URI where you're seeing this?
    See for example http://www.zotero.org/mronkko/items/881498

Repository Amazon.com
    Title The Theory of the Growth of the Firm
    Date Added 2009-12-31 03:38
    Date Modified 2009-12-31 03:38
    Just to be sure, you got a nice little wizard to help you with this, right?
    Yes, this is what happened. Very convenient feature.

The latest sync went on for a bit further and I have 5293 items in my database online but 5292 items locally when I select all in "My Library". The group library seems to sync correctly. Nevertheless, I am getting an error "Module not initialized" . The report ID for this is 463969127
  • (You have to use HTML mode for blockquotes to work.)
    Date Added 2009-12-31 03:38
    Date Modified 2009-12-31 03:38
    This is 2008 in the database. We'll look into it.
    Nevertheless, I am getting an error "Module not initialized"
    When are you getting this? If during the sync attempt, could you generate debug output for the sync attempt from the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs, submit it to the server, and post the Debug ID here? Thanks.
  • I got the module not initialized error after sync was complete. However, I have not been able to replicate that and now Zotero is working like it should.
  • I am also getting "Module not initialized" when it tries to automatically sync. When I hit the sync button it works fine. My error report number is 1548622597.
  • Similar problem (Module not initialized) here. ID: 1440564948