PDF attachment note text leaked to lib global tags

edited September 14, 2023
In tags plane I get one tag presented with tag text which I put once to a note in some pdf attachment rather than to a tag in my Zotero library.

Proceeding now, after the failure tag in set of tags has been indicated:
Make My Library to current view
Have a Tags plane enabled (global tags plane, not the tags of some lib entry)
On the list of tags one tag with text which I wanted once to have in PDF-attachment note, rather than in set of tags.
Select this one tag, make it active while only this one is active, not other tags are selected.
Lib entries view presents one single lib entry (publication)
Go to Tag tab of this lib entry.
The list of tags is empty, not tags assigned to this publication - that's strange as in lib global plane of tags one tag is selected/active.
This problem was indicated few days ago. That time, I believe, I have deleted that tag (by handling in lib global plane of tags).
Now the wrong tag is back to list of tags, nor it is possible to find out which lib entry it is assigned to.
  • That's as intended. The tag selector contains all tags, including those on attachments.
    If the tag isn't in the tag list on the right of an item shown when filtering for the tag, it's in at least one of the annotations for an attached files.
  • As far as it concerns my statements made this discussion it is the Tag Selector which I mean every time I refer to using phrase "Tags plane/ Tags pane".

As far as it concerns reading pdf documents and annotating text inside those documents - both using Zotero built-in pdf-reader: all I learned so far and I am using regularly are those elements: highlight text, add a note to text highlighted, add a note inside document without highlighting text. I am not aware of nor can find a way to add a tag to text inside document. I learned only how add tags to entries of my Zotero library of publications. In my understanding a pdf-attachment to Zotero lib entry is no Zotero lib entry, in my eyes to keeps to be merely an attachment of Zotero lib entry, no more.

I also never add tags at lib entries attachment level - as this option is well hidden, at least if it concerns myself. I only add tags at entries of my Zotero libraries level.

Furthermore, I have tones of notes inside pdf attachments, either stand-alone notes in document text or notes as text highlighting annotations. I don't wish to have all them listed in Tags Selector. So far it worked very well, until that one problematic tag appeared in Tags Selector.

• edited September 15, 2023
    I don't really know what you're saying here, but you can add tags to annotations from the annotation widget, either in the annotations tab of the PDF reader sidebar or in the annotation popup when you click an annotation with the sidebar closed. Those tags appear in the tag selector in the main library view. That's as intended and not going to change. Currently those tags will match the parent attachment, and in an upcoming version the annotations themselves will be listed in the items list.
  • Zotero pdf reader, side-bar left-hand, Show Annotations tab >>
    all text highlightings or notes I made in or added to document open are listed here, nothing more. None of the items listed over there I want to have be presented in Tags Selector.
    Zotero pdf reader, tool-bar, center section of toolbar - buttons of only those are present: highlight text, add note, select area, pick a color.
    None of the two above shows a trace of tags.
    Zotero pdf reader, right-hand sidebar has these three tabs: Info, Tags, Related. All apply to whole pdf attachment, not to text in attachment.

Let's keep mental model of tags as simple as simple tags are. They don't need to be associated to annotations class in order to show their full functionality. A tag is just tag, it suffices. If to take a look at other spheres of live where tags are used too nobody needs to associate them with annotations. Notes made in Zotero built-in pdf reader have true nature/power/function of annotations but not tags. Tags act as tags by being just tags.
  • I have no idea what you're saying here, but I can't continue with this. If you don't add tags to annotations, they won't appear in the tag selector in the library view. If you do, they will. They're just tags, and you can add them to various things in Zotero — items, notes, annotations. Use them however you want, or don't use them. There's nothing more to say on this.