managing group memberships, invites, and collection order

Hi All,

I'm not exactly new to Zotero, but I am new to running a group. I have a group library set up for educational purposes. The library contains relevant literature (sorted by collections) and project reports from previous student groups (sorted by sub collections under project reports).

At the start of the semester, I send out a bulk invitation (~50 students) in one go... no one gets the invite. Instead I have to do this in small batches. Am I doing something wrong (I copy-paste a comma separated list, and the invitations show as sent)

Second, there are always some students who simply don't join the library. I would love to have their invitations expire after 14 days. Is there a way to do this?

Third, is there a way to reorder the collections? I would like to maintain it so that all literature collections are at the top of the library and the project report collection (with its sub collections) at the bottom.
  • I don't know about 1 and 2. Re:
    Third, is there a way to reorder the collections? I would like to maintain it so that all literature collections are at the top of the library and the project report collection (with its sub collections) at the bottom.
    Collections are always displayed alphabetically within each level of the collection hierarchy and there's no way to change that. You can sort collections to the top by starting them with a number (like 0_Foundational Literature)
  • If it says they have the invitations pending for the email addresses you invited, then you did it correctly.

The emails for large numbers of invitations over a short period of time are sometimes delayed.

Group invitation emails are sent in a standard way through amazon's email service.
    Unsolicited emails are of course subject to blocking or classifying as spam by the receiving email service. If it's all emails to the same university domain, you could ask their IT to whitelist emails from Zotero but that's about it.

You can also let your students know separately that if they registered using the same email address you used for the invitation, the invitation to join the group will be available when they're logged in on the groups page. https://www.zotero.org/groups/