Image annotations, how to copy zotero:// URL?

edited September 7, 2023
Hi all,

Using Zotero 6.0.26 on a Mac. When I select an image annotation in the sidebar and copy with cmd + c the clipboard is empty.

It used to contain the zotero:// URL to the annotation.

I was using this info in my Zotero to Obsidian workflow.

Used it to copy the image to my Obsidian vault, but also linked back so that clicking the link would open Zotero and point to the original image annotation.

Were there any recent changes to the way quick copy for image annotations works?

It still works for text highlights, where the clipboard contains:
“Highlighted text” ([pdf](zotero://open-pdf/groups/group-id/items/item-id?page=2&annotation=annotation-id))

How can I get similar info for an image annotation?

Or is there a new mechanism coming up in Zotero 7 that I should wait for?

Thank you very much,
Paul
  • Are you sure the image annotation isn't actually an ink annotation? If so, possibly an error occurs if the clipboard is empty. Can you provide a Debug ID for it happening?
  • Hi, thanks for the quick response. Just submitted the Debug output, the ID is D861176016. Hope I did everything correctly, it's the first time I'm submitting such an ID. The annotation is an image that I captured with the 'Select Area' tool, when I paste into a text editor there's actually a newline there, but nothing else.

Is there any other ways to easily copy the zotero:// link to an image annotation?

I'd like to be able to duplicate the image to the Obsidian vault, but at the same time would like to link back to the original annotation in Zotero. I find it so powerful to be able to jump back to the original PDF.

Thank you very much,
    Paul
  • I still can't reproduce this.

Would you like to try Zotero 7 beta to see if the issue remains?
  • Thanks for trying to reproduce the problem. I'm happy to try Zotero 7 Beta and already very excited about the new EPUB and Snapshot features. I also recently found the Obsidian plugin "Zotero Integration" that can help me fix the issue. Thanks so much, and all the best!