Ipad app not displaying text comments in annotations

Hi folks. I’ve noticed that the iPad app (version 1.0.19) has stopped displaying comments that I’ve added in annotations.
* Highlights themselves are still visible.
* Notes are still visible (the post-it icons).
* However, any comments I’ve added to highlights or notes are invisible. It’s just blank.
* I removed and re-installed the app but the error persists.

I can see the comments when using the web library, so I figured it’s some kind of a displaying issue. I’m not sure when this issue started because I had at least a 3-4 month break from Zotero.

Any idea what might be wrong?
  • Bump. This is making the app almost useless, and I don’t want to leave a negative review on the App store.
  • @skaraden can you please start logging (https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output#zotero_for_ios), then drag down on items list to start a sync? When the sync finishes (the activity/progress indicator is gone), stop logging and send the Debug ID here please.

After providing the Debug ID, that will help us pinpoint the issue, you may want to try the following, as your case may be related to a known issue that will be fixed in an upcoming update. Try adding a new highlight in a document, and then sync. This may force the app to sync successfully and display the comments as expected.
  • Thanks! I performed the operations. (Start debug logging -> sync -> stop debugging and copy debug ID)

Here’s the ID: D1152568065

I also tried your suggestion, i.e. I added a new highlight to a document, closed the document and then performed a sync. Unfortunately, the comments did not appear.
  • Can you please start another logging session, in which you do the following:
    - open a document with comments that do not appear
    - add a new highlight with a comment
    - close the document
    - sync
    - open the document again and check if comments appear
    - stop the logging session and provide the debug ID for this one
  • Try #1: the app crashed (crash ID: 1930838967)

Try #2: the debug ID: D717104170
    Note: during the second try, when I started adding a comment to the new highlight, the comments re-appeared in the document. However, after I closed, synced, and re-opened the document, they were gone again. And this same thing also happened without the syncing. So they become visible when adding text to a new highlight in a commented document, but the comments don’t survive closing the document.

Let me know if you need me to do anything else.
  • Double bump on this one. I have the same problem on my IPad. I can read the comments when I manually click on the post-it icon but they don’t appear on the side tab. It all works fine on my PC though when I sync.
  • @skaraden do you only have problems with the comments appearing/disappearing in the sidebar as well? I.e. if you leave the sidebar closed, do the comments appear always in the popovers?
  • That’s funny, I use the sidebar so automatically that I hadn’t even noticed that you can click on the highlights to see the text. The comments DO appear in the pop overs.
  • Sorry for the issue. We identified the problem and were able to fix it. It'll be available soon.
  • Thanks for the update and looking into the issue!