known translator error in ebscohost dbs

over the past several weeks, we've been getting a known translator error in ebscohost dbs. i've reported the error: 1187930602

this is happening in both zot 1.5b2.1 and zot 1.0.9. sometimes the citation is saved regardless, sometimes it is not saved.

any solutions?
  • Also, the translator error happens both from individual item records as well as from the folder list.
  • I too just started getting this error today.
  • I also just received a known translator error while trying to save a citation from an EBSCOhost database. This is the first time I tried to use Zotero with EBSCOhost so I don't know if it used to work. I reported this as error under id 576680811.

It reproduces every time I try to save a citation in EBSCOhost. I looked at the list of Firefox extensions known to cause problems, and I am not running any of them.
  • Yes, I went through the information on that known_translator_issues page and the pages linked there with no resolution. That is where I saw the list of Firefox extensions I referred to above.

I'm new to Zotero and not familiar with the culture of this community or how enchancement/bugs get prioritized. However, the bug report tool did say to post a follow-up on the forum, so here it is.

I'm very interested in promoting this for the 700 students in the grade 6-12 one-to-one program that my department supports. We have a licenses for Citation, but it can be a little flakey with Word 2007 and under Vista. Plus, from my limited experience with Zotero so far, Zotero actually seems more useful (even if you ignore the fact that it is free).
  • @bcampbell:
    1. I don't think there is a need to re-report known bugs - although no harm done either - Rintze just pointed out that this is something people are aware of as a general issue and not something that's just not working for you.
    In the case of EBSCO this is such an important translator that I'd be confident it's high on the priority list anyway.

2. You can still work with EBSCO by using the Endnote Export function(s):
    If you have in the gear-->preferences-->general the box for "Use Zotero for downloaded RIS files" Zotero will add files that are (presumably) exported to endnote.
    In EBSCO, use the "Export to Bibliographic Manager" option and in the following dialogue, select "Direct Export to EndNote, ProCite, or Reference Manager" - the article(s) will be imported into Zotero. This is obviously a mere workaround for the time the translator is broken.

3. Yay for encouraging students to use Zotero - I've been popularizing this among graduate students - perhaps some of the most heavy users of citation software - to enthusiastic responses. After a brief look at Citation's feature that would not seem to be something I'd encourage students to work with - it seems a lot less powerful than Zotero (or Papers for that matter) and it's whole user interface and model hopelessly outdated.

In all honesty I'm not sure if I'd encourage any bibliographic software for student's below the college level, but if you're going that way, do them a favor and give them a modern&free program that they don't actually have to spend any time learning.
  • @adamsmith:
    Thanks for the work around tip. With regard to middle and high-school students using bibliographic software, I think I understand your point of view. However, there are two reasons why Zotero is attractive for this group, and it they are not really about creating bibliographies for a paper. (I now apologize in advance for going way off topic on this thread.)

The first, which is how some students at ourschool used Citation in the past, is as digital note cards. Many of our students keep their notes for everything in their computer (OneNote is popular), and it proves to be very helpful in staying organized for some. (We use Tablet PCs so that even includudes "handwritten" stuff such as diagrams and formulas for science and math.) Extending that to keeping "notecards" for research papers digitally is also helpful for some students.

My recent (and first) use of Zotero is for a graduate school report I am finishing up. I started with Citation for some note taking last year and moved to Zotero for the few sources I added in the past month or so. My initial impression is that I prefer Zotero's interface. However, students often end up printing their note cards when the time comes to do the actuall writing (so they can be spread out and arranged). I mostly work completely digitally so I have not explored whether or not Zotero has an easy way to generate those "notecards". Of course, I am not a middle or high-school student so what is acceptable for me is not necessarily best practice for them.

The second use by MS and HS students I potentially see for Zotero, is for documenting media project sources. I have not advocated the tool for that yet (and I'm not aware of anyone else at my school is using Zotero). Creating digital media (such as wiki pages and videos) by pulling together clips and images from other sources is something that has received more attention this year than in the past. While mashing up media is not new to kids and some of our students, now that it is being done for academic projects, we are trying to emphasize citing sources. Zotero seems a a great way to save citation information as students find sources on the web because it is pretty easy, and it is built-in to the web browser. In fact, I am tentatively teaching an elective, collaborative digital media course to 8th graders next year and have been considering having them use Zotero as they create media projects.

- Bill
    http://twitter.com/BillCamp
  • OK, thanks for the explanation Bill - I've never really taught below college level so I'll yield to your experience - it certainly sounds like you know what you are doing.

Having read over your description I think Zotero would seem very much along the lines of what you'd like - especially because it's neatly embedded into the whole online media experience, rather than an clumsy 'outsider' like Citation or the much more expensive Endnote.

For print-out cards, look at the "Generate Report" feature - I think you'll llike it!
  • Just encountered this problem with ebscohost but for me, only when looking at the individual article. It worked when I selected the article from the folder list - while looking at the search results not the individual article.

Seems to be different behavior than jamaral above...
  • A fix to the EBSCO translator was added last night. Your copy of Zotero should auto-update within 24 hours, or you can update manually by clicking Update Now in the General pane of the Zotero prefs. You can reach the preferences from the Actions drop-down menu, accessible by clicking the gear icon in the Zotero toolbar.
  • edited September 26, 2009
    Using version 2.0b7.2, checked to make sure Zotero was up to date, getting this same EBSCO translator error. Extremely frustrating. I tried to go back to version 1.0, but then ran into the database version error. I was teaching this to a group of college students and other students reported this problem as well. Reported as 895467792. - Never mind - didn't have 3rd party cookies enabled. Sorry!
  • I'm currently having the issue with Ebscohost, among others. No icon appears in the address bar. I tried updating translators and Zotero claims they are all up-to-date. Third party cookies are enabled. version 2.0b7.4.

Permalink: http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=43479260&loginpage=Login.asp&site=ehost-live

Any Ideas?