Collection disappears after recent update (7 beta.33)

Hi, I've just installed the recent beta (7.0.0-beta.33+437e2bd92 (64-bit) on linux), and one of the collection just disappeared all of a sudden.

I tried to disable the two plugins I have (BBT and Zotero File), but the result is always the same.

When I restore the previous sqlite backup file, the collection gets deleted again a few seconds after the restart. You can find a video showing the behaviour at https://youtu.be/9HgnlnsKq2I

I am not totally sure the issue is related to the new build. The other thing that changed in the meantime is that I added a new book to the collection. In the video, you can see that the book disappears from the collection right before the whole collection disappears.
  • Nothing to do with the upgrade. You just deleted it by mistake, and the deletion synced. When you swap in a backup, it auto-syncs and pulls down the deletion.

Follow these steps to restore from the automatic backup and restoring a deleted collection. (Note that you'll need to create duplicates of the subcollections as well.)

An upcoming version of Zotero will make it possible to restore a deleted collection from the trash.
  • edited August 14, 2023
    After further investigation, the problem seems to be related to the syncing. If I am offline the collection does not get deleted. Note that I do not sync attachments, and not even full-text content.

For now, while waiting for directions, I totally disabled the syncing option.

On a related note: maybe it would be better to move the deleted collections to the Trash instead of simply deleting it?
  • @dstillman I was offline to test the syncing and I missed your message. Thanks, I will try to follow your steps.
  • edited August 14, 2023
    I confirm that the problem is solved. Just for reference, I used the "Replace online library" option. Thanks @dstillman for the quick reply.
  • edited August 14, 2023
    OK, but to be clear, you didn't need to do that, and that's not what the steps I linked to say to do for a deleted collection. That would've wiped out any changes you made to your database since the date of the backup. If you had no other changes, that's fine, but it's definitely not the default action we recommend for this.

(Again, though, deleted collections will soon just go to the trash, so no one will need to deal with this at that point.)