Return to previous view when clicking on My Library

Hello, is there someway I can return to the previous view when I click on my library?

I have almost a thousand items in my library. If I'm browsing through, then click on a sub-collection and then want to return to my library, it resets where I was in the main library so I have to find my place again.

Can this be prevented? Thanks!
  • You mean the scroll position and/or item selection?

We could consider that. I don't think it's that common with this sort of navigation — it'd be more common with Back/Forward functionality, which we've also discussed before as a possibility, and sounds like more what you might want to use in this case. But, as one prominent example, macOS Finder does preserve scroll position (but not selection).

It's a little tricky, in that both the items and the sort field might have changed, so there's the question of what to anchor to. The naive approach would be to restore the row index and hope for the best. A more complicated approach would be to remember the selected item (if there is one) and try to get that back into view at the same position, and failing that try to scroll to the top-most visible item, and failing that maybe just fall back to the top of the list.
  • Yep, exactly that - scroll position and preferably item selection. Combined with a hotkey/button to reset to current sort order would be perfect!

I'm on windows so it currently just resets to whatever sort method I had selected in the main library.

• I've been looking for a previous/forward view button too. I'm used to it on Evernote, emacs, Obsidian and so on. Very handy when for example, you're hunting back and forth across references.
  • I would also love to have a trail back the way I came. A back arrow would be nice, but a viewing history would be even better. I find myself needing to flip back and forth between several documents at times. Currently I create a freestanding note with Zutilo links to each document I'm consulting.
  • Oh my goodness... This is perhaps the single-handedly most annoying feature of working daily with Zotero. Even merely dragging a citation from one folder to another for the sake of "cleaning up" and organizing a folder proves incredibly annoying! There is no way to clean out a folder like this without landing back at the top of My Library and having to navigate down to the various folders and subfolders just to get back to the one folder/list you were attempting to organize. Please give us a back/forward button, "open in new tab," or "pin tab" feature!