Moving linked file back to Zotero storage

Once I have highlighted/annotated a linked file in Zotero, is it possible to move it back to Zotero storage while retaining the highlights/annotations?

For context, my use case here is managing the fact that linked files don't work with the iOS app (my single biggest problem with using Zotero).
  • Tools → Manage Attachments → Convert Linked Files to Stored Files
  • Thanks for your quick response. I'm afraid that the "Manage Attachments" option is greyed out such that I can't click on it. This seems to be true when I select both linked files and files currently using Zotero storage.
  • edited August 7, 2023
    It should definitely not be grayed out if you've selected any combination of items that includes a linked-file attachment or a parent item with a linked-file child attachment.

To be clear, this is in the Tools menu. It's not the similarly named ZotFile context-menu option.
  • Well, and if you're saying "Manage Attachments" itself is grayed out, you're definitely looking in the wrong place.
  • Well, I'm not sure what happened. I was looking in the tools menu, per your instructions, and the menu was definitely greyed out. But I restarted Zotero and it now seems to be working just as you suggested. I'll take it! Thanks for your help.

This should enable me to manage switching between desktop and iOS. But, based on a quick scan of the other forums, ZotFile may not have the same functionality with Zotero 7?

Thanks again.
  • edited August 8, 2023
    After much discussion*, it appears that most other Zotfile functionality will be available in Zotero v7 (which is yet to be released; currently in beta) via a new addon, zotero-file. But tablet sync is not currently included.
    https://github.com/MuiseDestiny/zotero-file

* https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/104858/on-zotfile-development-and-zotero-7#latest
  • Thanks, @tim820 -- and sorry for the slow reply!

I'll save these links for when Zotero 7 comes out of beta. Until then, I'll keep depending on Zotfile.