Insertion of bibliography

Hi everyone,

I work on a Mac with Word and use the Zotero version 6.0.26.

After writing of 170 pages with a plethora of different citations, I wanted to add the bibliography. However, this does not work. No error - it simply does not work and says nothing. I manually changed some things in the citations at some positions, e.g. automatically it used (X und X, 2019) and I changed it manually to X and X, 2019, or (e.g. reviewed in X and Y) instead of (X and Y).... Is this the problem? Or is the document to huge so that it will take some time?

Now I managed that word asked me for every citation where I changed something, whether I want to keep my change or set it back to original. However, still no bibliography..

What can I do?

Thanks in advance

• edited August 6, 2023
    I was having the same problem. I had to exit, restart my computer, and with some patience, the bibliography appeared.
  • edited August 6, 2023
    @Tammy1989: For the bibliography, you just need to wait longer. Word for Mac integration in a large document can unfortunately just be very slow at the current time. Restart Zotero and try again, and let it go, potentially for hours.

But you shouldn't be modifying citations directly in the document, and you should revert those and customize them properly. See "Narrative Citations with Omit Author".
  • Thank you for your answers. Meanwhile I completely finished writing and I urgently need to add the bibliography. I Changed every modifaction back.

After trying 100 times it started to go through every citation in the text, but at the end of this process (took about 1 h) no bibliography. When I open a new document and add like 5 citations, zotero adds a bibliography - so there isnt a general problem, I guess. I really dont know what to do anymore. I spent hours on trying, clicking, reading in forums - is there any suggestion that I've might overseen that could help me? :(

• What happens when you click on "Add bibliography" (also, make sure you wait long enough as dstillman says above)