Error report 1876598835 : Downloaded ZIP file not found in Zotero.Sync.Storage._processDownloadedZip

I just installed Firefox 3.5.3 on XP, then Zotero 2.0b7.1. I copied preferences from a working installation (also XP/3.5.3/ 2.0b7.1) and tried to sync via webdav. I also copied about:config hidden preferences. The only preferences I see that are different are extensions.zotero.dataDir and extensions.enabledItems and *.last*.

Upon syncing, I get the following error message: "Downloaded ZIP file not found in Zotero.Sync.Storage._processDownloadedZip()". Initially, there were citations missing.

I reset/restored from the zotero server. Same problem.

I reset file sync history. Same problem.

I clicked to sync several more times, after restarting firefox, and got more data. Now it appears that my library on the new computer has the same number of citations as my library on the old computer. So I am not sure why I STILL get the error when I click to sync. Even after restarting firefox. Even after restarting my computer. Perhaps some attachment is missing?

How can I properly sync the new installation without continually getting this error message?
  • It's a file sync error. Your metadata will continue to sync fine.

Could you generate debug output for the sync attempt from the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs, submit it to the server, and post the Debug ID here? Thanks.
  • The Debug ID is D1115739215.
  • I am still having this problem, even after re-installing zotero and firefox. I just updated to 2.0b7.4. Even after resetting sync history and restoring from the Zotero server, I only have the metadata without all the storage files. Clicking the "manual" sync icon again gives the following error:

"Downloaded ZIP file not found in Zotero.Sync.Storage._processDownloadedZip()"

The error message given when submitting the Report ID 302660448 is:

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Downloaded ZIP file not found in Zotero.Sync.Storage._processDownloadedZip()' when calling method: [nsIWebProgressListener::onStateChange]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

1. It is possible that I (stupidly) altered some state variable when initially installing zotero on this particular machine, since I copied settings in about:config. I would think that a "clean" installation of firefox and zotero would have repaired such an issue. Could there be some persistence after uninstallation that is foiling a clean installation?

2. I have about 1500 zip or prop files on the webdav. It is not causing a problem for the other machines, but perhaps there is a problem downloading them? Every time I click on manual sync, one additional zip file (at most) is downloaded. No prop files have been downloaded.

Please advise me on some kind of workaround, or where else to look for information. I have been re-reading documentation and forums, but of course I may have missed something. I am quite concerned about file sync on this machine and would like to find some way to resolve the error, even if it means that I manually copy and paste the files from webdav to the local machine. (However, it is not even clear to me how to extract these. When I peek into the zip files, I get files of type "file" with nonsense names, not of type pdf or html.)

Thank you!
  • This is the error message you're getting:
    I:\EO_QD_2009_02\zotero_local\zotero_data\tmp\792BK273.zip.tmp could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

Try again later, or contact the server administrator.
    It's hard to say what's causing that, though, other than that something—network glitch, other software, etc.—is interrupting the download. There's a Mozilla KB article on the message, though it may not be particularly helpful. If I:\ is a network drive, you might want to try with your Zotero data directory on the local hard drive instead.
  • That is strange, indeed.

I:\ is a network drive, but my Zotero data directory is not on that drive! It is already on the local C drive according to my preferences.

How can I change the dataDir to C when my preferences show that it is already in C?
  • Well, your data directory certainly appears to be on that drive:
    Using data directory I:\EO_QD_2009_02\zotero_local\zotero_data
    You're saying that in the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs, it doesn't say I:\? If you click Show Data Directory, it doesn't put you in I:\?
  • edited October 14, 2009
    To be clear, this is from the debug output you provided on September 23rd. If you're on a different machine now or have changed your settings, you'll need to provide a new Debug ID.
  • edited October 14, 2009
    OK, sorry for the confusion. I thought this was from the recent report ID. Yes, this is the same machine, but I have re-installed Firefox and Zotero since 9/23 and changed the data directory. Here is the new debug ID: D717023814