Multiple problems (i) unusably slow (ii) no disable auto updates under Preferences

(1) Running Zotero 6.0.26 on MacBook Pro M1 Ventura 13.2.1 is unusably slow with 150 documents in the Zotero library (2) I thought the "disable auto updates" to stop it syncinc every new reference was in Preferences - but Preferences just take me to the reference library. What can I do about both please?
  • 1. This should definitely not be the case, If you can provide a Debug ID from when Zotero is slow, we might be able to say more.
    2. There is a checkbox "Sync automatically" in preferences, as described here.

• D369144907
  • @saulhr: It sounds like you're referring to the "Automatically update citations" option in the word processor plugin's Document Preferences. (Nothing to do with "syncing", and it will confuse people if you mention use that word.)

More details here: https://www.zotero.org/blog/zotero-5-0-36/#faster-citing-in-large-documents
    (3)(+0000007): Integration: Request already in progress; not executing MacWord16 setDocPrefs
    Your debug output shows an operation already in progress. A large document in Word for Mac may quite take a while to generate your bibliography, but this might just have stalled. Restart Zotero and try again, and if you're still having trouble provide another Debug ID that shows the first attempt to insert a citation after restarting Zotero.
  • Allow me to list the errors in D777553030:

1) very slow, even after closing and restarting Zotero
    2) when clicking on Document Preferences in the Word Plugin, it often brings up the Zotero document manager, but not the window with the ability to click Automatic Update Links
    3) During this trial, it was unable to add a citation because of the slow speed
    4) about 4 minutes after switching ON the automatic updates, the Zotero plugin woke up and is very slowly working its way through the document.
    5) Using "Add/Edit Citation" in the plugin, trying to add a citation and to Omit the author, it stalls and eventually generates an error.

The problems remain (i) the speed which makes it almost impossible to work with Zotero (ii) Document Preferences doesn't always bring up the option to enable or disable the udpating (iii) Add/Edit Citation doesn't always give the option to Omit Author.

Zotero is making my document unusable as it's taking 3-4 minutes to add each citation. I would be grateful for your help.
  • Generally aside from disabling automatic citation updates and cutting up the document into smaller pieces, there is little to be done to speed up Zotero on macOS Word.

If you initiate any of the Zotero commands, especially Refresh or Add/Edit Bibliography, nothing may appear to happen for a while, but Zotero is working. If you press other Zotero buttons in Word while Zotero is working, it will just bring up the main Zotero window. You may check to see if Zotero is working on your document by opening the Debug Output window from Help -> Debug Output Logging -> View Output and looking for lines related to your document being logged.
  • edited July 20, 2023
    I don't have a Mac, so can't test this as another option, but how well does Zotero's RTF Scan work on Macs ? That is, writing with unformatted citations, and thus not needing to use the word processor plugin at all.
    https://www.zotero.org/support/rtf_scan

When I used Endnote, that was the way I wrote always. It was so much easier than negotiating a word processor plugin. I had the Endnote program open on my second monitor for quick lookups of references whose author/year I didn't recall off the top of my head.

Unformatted citations also make collaborative editing of manuscripts with colleagues less problematic, as there are fewer ways that the referencing can get stuffed (eg plugin references flattened inadvertently).

Of course it does mean that you have to save your document at the formatting stage (only) in RTF format, in order for Zotero itself (not the plugin) to format the citations and create the bibliography.