Chrome/Opera copy-paste broekn links is back. Was/is there a fix?

edited June 28, 2023
Hi all,

I've just run into same problem as these older forum posts https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/104219/citations-unlink-in-google-docs-when-copied-and-pasted-into-a-new-document

Been using Opera as only for GDocs editiing (this project). - no other stuff in the browser. Has been fine for over a year.

Just started, for no reason:

Doc 1 - links fine, Z refreshes, all good
Doc 2 - paste from Doc 1, all links break

Tried converted to switch processors, pasting in new, blank document. Restore citations. They all break.

I read that Chrome was fixing this a while back. Any info?

Seems like a bug in the code of the original doc?

Zotero connector up to date

Restarted browser + Z - not luck

this is really a problem as am in the throes of my last writeup for PhD and it would be a major time delay to have to swtich everything to some other edirore at this stage.
  • update: Just switched processors, downloaded, opened in Libre, restored, combined, re-switched processors, imported back to GDocs. Links are fine but with massive 40K+ texts this is not a workable fix.

Just noting becauase the links exported that time - clearly still a Chromium copy/paste problems again.
  • I don't believe Opera is officially supported (I understand they allow Chrome extension, but that's not something that's tested by Zotero), so the first thing to check would be if you can reproduce this in a supported browser (Firefox, Chrome, Edge)
  • Hi Adam OK will do

(I need to follow up with you form way back on that style)
  • OK, replicated in Chrome and Firefox MAc. Same deal, both time. Could it be a Ventura thing?

I have been working away until this mid-afternoon, everything fine. IN fact, occasionally I will select and re-do the odd citation just to make sure they are functioning.

Have tried part of the text as well - still happening...

so very bizarre to just popup out of the blue.

any idea mosrt wlecome, I shudder to think of trying to move it all to another processor at this stage!

thanks!!
  • Hi all,

So, been spending hours trying to figure this out. Trued exporting to Libre, re-importing, etc. It just makes nmo sense.

I thought it could be in the one doc I am pasting FROM...Exported to Libre, saved as, brought back over 0 no dice.

It is clearly a problem with cut-paste within the browsers. Again, tried Chrome, FIrefox, and yes, Opera.

This is very problematic at this stage, costing days. Is there any good info other than what's obvs on the forum from a while back that Google was fixing the problem?

thanks
  • also getting this error in the advanced setting pane:

[JavaScript Error: "Error: 500: Google Docs request failed.

{
    "error": {
    "code": 500,
    "message": "Internal error encountered.",
    "status": "INTERNAL"
    }
    }

at Object.run (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/zotero-google-docs-integration/api.js:137:11)" {file: "[object Object]"}]

[JavaScript Error: "Error: 500: Google Docs request failed.

{
    "error": {
    "code": 500,
    "message": "Internal error encountered.",
    "status": "INTERNAL"
    }
    }

at Object.run (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/zotero-google-docs-integration/api.js:137:11)" {file: "[object Object]"}]
  • I just noticed the connector was update on 12 June? Can I downgrade to see if this is the issue?
  • Can you confirm that you are running the latest version of Connector (5.0.110) in Chrome, and that citation copying does not work in a new document? If it doesn't, submit a Report ID from the Connector.
  • edited June 30, 2023
    Hi thanks for helping.

Can confirm using latest.

Bizarrely: yesterday, restarted, tried safari under al the above conditions. It worked (figured will just change browsers).

Went back to try chrome again, same culprit text,- didn't work.

Left computer to sleep, came back today, nothing changed environment-wise. Now, it seems to work in both Chrome and Opera (I know) mysteriously.

you guys make some magic happen?

Just dunno...