Importing reference to the seelcted collection

In the new version of 2.0b7.2.

when i import referecne from IEEE, ACM or any database it goes to the main collection not to the collection that i have selected.

In previous version it works but not it doest??
any help
  • (Please don't double-post.)
  • I had posted this since two days ago and got not response, that why i posted it again.

Because it is very difficult for me manage the items, if the items not goes to the selected collection.

please help regarding this...
  • Is this always the case? Does it just happen with items added using the URL bar item or also using the "Create Item from current page" button in the Zotero bar.

You are aware that the selected collection does have to be in the same window, right?

Just to make sure that you really have a collection selected - are you doing this with Zotero opened on the bottom of your screen, so that you can make sure it's actually selected?

Can you experiment a little and then report back when exactly that occurs?
    It's extremely hard to diagnose a problem that we can't reproduce.

Also, OS and FF version would probably help.

(As for double posts - if you're getting impatient it's OK to bump your thread - i.e. write a follow up post as a reply to your old one with something like "any news on this?" or just "bump" (although you're a bit demanding expecting a prompt answer over the weekend...), but having the same question on two different places of the forum (one of them a thread that deals with a different issue) creates extra work for people answering as well as a messy forum.
  • No i am not using the URL bar item. I am trying to use download option avaiable on IEEE, ACM page like EndNote, etc..

I am using FF 3.5.3 with Vista.

To reproduce the issue please follow these steps
    1 - Open the Zotero window
    2 - select a collection from the My Library collection list let say "COL1"
    3 - Now go the IEEE or ACM database link to import the ref into the libraray
    4 - Click the Download option from the IEEE/ACM page using EndNote option
    5 - It imports but it does not goes to the selected collection that is COL1.

But after the step 2, if i click on Title panel on Zotero window and select any item from the list >>>> then follow the step 3 - 5.
    it works fine only for IEEE and ACM but not for any other databases like http://www.engineeringvillage2.org etc.

i guess it helps

Actually i have so many items in the list and for me its very difficult to search and include any item from the collections, if they are not in my defined collection.
  • hard to say. Why don't you use the Zotero URL bar link for IEEE, though?

The problem as you describe it sounds like the collection isn't properly selected.
    That this should be different for different databases seems hard to believe - are you sure the ones where it doesn't work aren't just opening a new window for the citation download (Zotero would then have the library selected in that window).

Btw. to find recently added items you can add the "Date Added" as one of the columns in the center panel of Zotero and then sort by it - that way you'll get recently added items first.
  • Zotero URL bar link for IEEE doesnot work properly, it doesnt include the author names, publisher, year etc, thats why i dont want to use it.

Date added can not resolve this issue, because i wanted to make category by names not by date.

>>>when i clicked on download from ACM it opens new window and the collection is selected and it does not work

But if i re-select the collection on the new window then it work...
    in the previous i didnt done like this ... and it maintian the session on the new window/page also :D
  • weird. Can you give an example of IEEE that doesn't work?
    Seems to work perfectly for me, e.g. this one:
    http://tinyurl.com/yzyrncm
    Also ACM - works perfectly for me, e.g.
    http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1040142.1040146&coll=ACM&dl=ACM&CFID=57425556&CFTOKEN=76432838

With the endnote export you get exactly the issue I describe above - the citation is downloaded in a little extra window that opens, where Zotero is defaulted to the library. I assume it's the same with IEEE, but I don't have access. This isn't really Zotero's fault and especially because those sites do allow for direct Zotero import and I wouldn't see it as high priority to try to "fix" it (because, as I said, it's not really broke...)

Finally, for the date added - this was a remedy because you said you couldn't find citations that are added to your library: If you add a citation and it goes just to your library instead of the collection you want it in, you can quickly find it by sorting the library on date added. you can then drag it to the desired collection.