[Feature Request] open multiple tabs with same PDF

When I read an article, I frequently find myself going back and forth between the beginning of the article (which contains text) and the end of it (for references, tables and figures).

A solution would be to have 2 tabs opened on the same article (with different views).

Unfortunately I am unable to do that, because when I open the article the second time, I'm remanded to the already opened tab, rather than a new tab being opened.

I can open the article a second time in a new window, but this is a suboptimal solution.

I therefore request that, when I open an article that is already opened, a new tab opens with the article, rather than being remanded to the already opened tab.
  • Right-click → Split Horizontally or Split Vertically
  • Right-click on the PDF reader

Nice, that would work
  • If I split horizontally, why the Document Outline works only for the upper window?
  • edited June 21, 2023
    You could use a split view (PDF reader -> View -> Split Horizontally/Vertically). Please keep in mind the bottom/right pane has some limitations, for example the inability to open links.
    (Edit: already answered while I was writing this comment)
  • Also, it would be useful if the split would remember the position in case it is de-activated and re-activated again, instead of starting over every time
  • Per-PDF or global?
  • Per-PDF.

How would it work globally? Another PDF may not even have that page
  • edited June 22, 2023
    Oh, you mean the page position, not the split position (though it would be the split position too). We can consider that.
  • Yes the page position, to always have the references when I split
  • Also, when you click on a hyperlink, it should be opened in the bottom split / right split (it is most probably a link to a reference)
  • I would like to support the request that the split view remembers the page position - I usually open it to check the notes or references and in longer books it would be quite helpful if I didn't have to scroll a few hundred pages every time I do that.