How do I remove duplicate references that Zotero creates in a document's bibliography?

I have accepted an update of certain references in Zotero, thinking that it was the right thing to do. Apparently, it has led to an error that I do not know how to correct – when I insert a reference that I have used before, Zotero creates a new reference in the biography completely similar to the original one, yet now Zotero marks the first reference with an ‘a’ and the second with a ‘b’. Do you know how to undo this?

Example from biography (Microsoft Word):

Windell, D., Norman, R., & Malla, A. K. (2012a). The Personal Meaning of Recovery Among Individuals Treated for a First Episode of Psychosis. Psychiatric Services, 63(6), 548–553. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ps.201100424

Windell, D., Norman, R., & Malla, A. K. (2012b). The Personal Meaning of Recovery Among Individuals Treated for a First Episode of Psychosis. Psychiatric Services, 63(6), 548–553. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ps.201100424

When I open my library in the the Zotero app and search for this reference, it only occurs once – that is: no a and b. How do I correct this error?

I would love to hear from you!

Best regards, Ida in DK
  • Could you say more about what exactly you did with this?
    I have accepted an update of certain references in Zotero, thinking that it was the right thing to do.
    It's not a Zotero functionality I recognize.

Generally speaking, most likely you'll have to figure out which of the two versions is inserted from your library (by inserting a new citation to the item and making sure to select it from "My Library") and then replacing all other citations with that.
  • Is it possible to, when inserting cites, to make it more obvious the origin of the site: Zotero library or document existing citations. I've never had this problem but it seems to be the topic of questions.
  • Yeah, the ability to highlight citations not connected to the current Zotero library in some way is high on my wishlist, too.