Can you search webpages from your library?

I have several webpages and pdfs saved to my library. I have to do keyword searches for all of the pdfs and webpages. Can I do that?
  • Yes, use Everything mode in the quick search bar or the Attachment Content in an advanced search (the latter with "Include parent and child items of matching items" if you need to match other conditions against parent items as well).
  • I have tried both these options but they do not seem to be working. Do you have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?
  • edited June 6, 2023
    If you click on the attachment that's not matching and look in the right-hand pane, what does it say next to Indexed?

Can you provide a Debug ID for a search that's not working, and also provide the zotero.org URL from the web library when clicking on the parent item of the attachment you're expecting to match?
  • It does not have the Indexed line on the right hand pane. I can see it for my pdfs but not for the webpages.
  • Seperate issue I discovered during this process, I am trying to index one pdf and its not working: D2128133717.
  • Here is a debug ID for the search that is not working: D1690836878
  • The webpages I have saved in my library do not currently have parent items. I have just been saving them directly from my browser with the zotero extension.
  • [JavaScript Error: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\pdftotext.exe returned exit status 1" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/utilities_internal.js" line: 756}]
    Something on your system — probably security software — is preventing Zotero from running the PDF tool it uses to extract text. You can fix that or use the Zotero 7 beta, which no longer uses an external program to extract text.
    The webpages I have saved in my library do not currently have parent items. I have just been saving them directly from my browser with the zotero extension.
    It sounds like you're just describing regular webpage items. Only attachments — in this case webpage snapshots — have any full-text content.

https://www.zotero.org/support/adding_items_to_zotero#saving_webpages
  • Do you have any suggestions on how to fix the security software block?
  • That's your security software, you'd have to troubleshoot that (or, as dstillman says, either use the beta or wait for its stable release)
  • Do you know when the stable release of Zotero 7 is expected by?
  • Probably not for a while -- no firm date, but it'd be surprised if it happened in the next couple of months.
  • From past upgrades, betas need to be absolutely rock solid and key plugins (those that will be updated) will need to be compatible. So far, Zotero 7 beta is a thing of beauty.
  • edited June 9, 2023
    Yeah, I agree that the beta itself is super stable, but the lack of plugin support is surely a concern and is going to delay a prod release (and Zotero devs take this very seriously, answering a steady stream of questions by plugin devs over on the dev list)