Zotero 7 Beta: Zotero Integration Error on macOS

edited May 24, 2023

Error Message:

Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

Would you like to view troubleshooting instructions?

To reproduce the error:

1. Open zotero
2. Open Word and create a new document
3. Click "Add/Edit Citation" button
4. The error message pops up

Troubleshooting Errors in Word Processor Documents

1. Restart both Zotero and your word processor.
Done
2. Make sure you're using the latest versions of Zotero and your word processor.
Laptop: MacBook Air M2, 2022
Word: Word for Mac version 16.73 (23051401)
Zotero: 7.0.0-beta.2+39b8a3316
3. While troubleshooting, disable the Track Changes feature in Word/LibreOffice [...]
Disabled
4-11
Not applicable. Occurs in a new document.
Other actions taken
- Restart laptop
- Reinstall Microsoft Word Add-in
  • Could you provide a Report ID after triggering this?
  • Sure.
    Report ID: 483951062
  • Can you provide a Debug ID for Zotero startup through reproducing the error, using the "Restart with Logging Enabled…" option?
  • Sure.
    D626526983
  • It looks like Zotero 7 is failing to display this error dialog:

https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/mac_word_permissions_missing

We'll fix the dialog, but this would happen if you declined to give it permission to control Word when prompted.
  • edited May 24, 2023
    Strange, I remember I saw that dialog and I remember I clicked on "OK". I will investigate that.

Edit: Zotero 7 is allowed to control Microsoft Word
  • And System Events, if that shows under Zotero?
  • edited May 24, 2023
    And to clarify, you have Zotero 7 named as "Zotero 7", and that's showing as a separate entry in Automation?
  • I have two lines named "Zotero"
    One with System Events activated and another one with both System Events and Microsoft Word activated.
  • edited May 24, 2023
    I started to install the beta from scratch, trying to reproduce the problem, but another problem occurred. Sorry for messing things up.

1. Remove zotero 7 beta 2 from applications
    2. Remove Zotero.dotm from Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content.localized/Startup.localized/Word
    3. Run tccutil reset All
    4. Reinstall version 6.0.26 from Zotero-6.0.26.dmg
    5. Reinstall Microsoft Word Add-in
    6. Open Word and trigger by Add/Edit Citation
    “Zotero.app” wants access to control “Microsoft Word.app”. Allowing control will provide access to documents and data in “Microsoft Word.app”, and to perform actions within that app.
    Then click "OK"
    7. Manage Styles... in Zotero - Document Preferences to trigger "System Events"
    8. In “Privacy & Security” -> “Automation” -> “Zotero”, System Events and Microsoft Word are enabled.
    9. In Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content.localized/Startup.localized/Word, Zotero.dotm is from Apr 21.

Everything is working fine.

I then tried again Zotero 7 Beta 2

10. Install the beta from "Zotero-7.0.0-beta.2+39b8a3316.dmg"
    11. Replace zotero 6 by the zotero 7 beta
    12. Open zotero (now the version is 7.0.0-beta.2+39b8a3316)
    13. Open Word
    14. Add/Edit Citation
    15. Nothing happens
    16. In “Privacy & Security” -> “Automation”, no Zotero
    17. Returning to zotero, trying to Reinstall Microsoft Word Add-in
    18. Getting
    Installation was successful.
    19. Reopening Word
    20. Add/Edit Citation
    21. Nothing happens
    22. Checking Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content.localized/Startup.localized/Word, Zotero.dotm is still from Apr 21

Sorry, I have to revert to a more stable state and return to zotero 6. And sorry again for making things more complicated that i previously was. But I would be happy to help you finding why it doesn't work on my laptop.

Edit:

Same problem as the one reported at the top of the thread on a MacBook air Retina, 13-inch, 2020 with Word for Mac version 16.73 (23051401).

Directly replaced Zotero 6.0.23 (sorry, it was not an up-to-date version as I thought first) by Zotero-7.0.0-beta.2+39b8a3316 via the dmg installer.

1. Open word
    2. Add/Edit Citation triggers
    “Zotero.app” wants access to control “System Events”. Allowing control will provide access to documents and data in “System Events”, and to perform actions within that app.
    It doesn't trigger the access to Microsoft Word.app
    3. Zotero Integration error
    Zotero experienced an error updating your document.
    Would you like to view troubleshooting instructions?
    4. In “Privacy & Security” -> “Automation” -> “Zotero”, System Events only
    5. Reinstall Microsoft Word Add-in does replace Zotero.dotm with the one bundled with zotero 7 Beta, but the problem is still here.
  • OK, thanks.

In the latest beta, we've fixed the error dialog for this problem, but there's still an issue with Zotero 7 not properly triggering the permissions prompt.

You should be able to work around this by installing the last Zotero 6 beta, triggering the permissions prompt with that, and then upgrading that to Zotero 7.

Release and beta builds have a different macOS bundle identifier, so the system treats them as separate apps, but if you trigger the prompt with the Zotero 6 beta that permission should carry over to the Zotero 7 beta. Hopefully most people trying the Z7 beta were already running the Z6 beta and won't be affected by this.
  • Thank you.

Unfortunately the workaround doesn't seem to work. Please find below the detailed of what I have done:

1. Installing 6.0.24-beta.1+77e0c71c7 from the link above
    2. Opening zotero
    3. Opening Word
    4. Triggering the permissions prompt (Microsoft Word.app and System Events)
    5. Inserting citation is OK
    7. Closing Word
    8. Checking Zotero.dotm date: Apr 21 (i.e., dotm file bundled with zotero 6.0.26)
    9. From zotero 6.0.24-beta, reinstalling the Microsoft Word Add-in
    10. Now the dotm file date is Apr 19. So zotero is able to write in Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content.localized/Startup.localized/Word
    11. Opening Word. Still able to add/edit citation
    12. Closing Word
    14. Checking “Privacy & Security” -> “Automation” -> “Zotero”, both System Events and Microsoft Wort enabled.
    15. Upgrading zotero 7.0.0-beta.5+4ca427863 to via "Check for Updates..."
    16. zotero 7.0.0-beta.5 opens, with a quick prompt "Installing Microsoft Word for Mac Integration..." or similar
    17. Checking the dotm file. Still Apr 19.
    18. Checking “Privacy & Security” -> “Automation” -> “Zotero”, both System Events and Microsoft Wort still enabled.
    19. Opening Word
    20. Add/Edit Citation. Nothing happens
    21. Restarting the computer
    22. Checking “Privacy & Security” -> “Automation” -> “Zotero”, both System Events and Microsoft Wort still here and enabled. (Please note it is called Zotero, not Zotero 7)
    23. Starting zotrero then Word.
    24. Add/Edit Citation. Nothing happens. I checked if the citation dialog wasn't opened behind, but nothing.
    25. Via zotero 7.0.0-beta.5, resinstalling the add-in (Installation was successful)
    26. dotm file date is still Apr 19 (but it seems to be the correct date according to the date of /Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/install/Zotero.dotm)
    27. Manually copying from /Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/install to ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content.localized/Startup.localized/Word
    28. Opening Word
    29. Add/Edit Citation. Nothing happens
    30. Closing Word.
    31. Removing ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content.localized/Startup.localized/Word/Zotero.dotm manually
    32. Opening Word
    33. No Zotero in the menu (expected)
    34. Closing Word
    35. Via zotero 7.0.0-beta.5, resinstalling the add-in (Installation was successful)
    36. ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content.localized/Startup.localized/Word is empty.
    37. Reverting to 6.0.24-beta.1+77e0c71c7
    38. “Settings...” -> “Cite” -> “Word Processors”
    Some word processor plugins are disabled.
    39. Enable Plugins and Restart Zotero
    40. “Settings...” -> “Cite” -> “Word Processors”
    The Microsoft Word add-in is currently installed
    (not correct, the Word startup folder is empty)
    41. Resinstalling Microsoft Word Add-in
    42. Zotero.dotm is correctly installed in the Word startup folder
  • 25. Via zotero 7.0.0-beta.5, resinstalling the add-in (Installation was successful)
    26. dotm file date is still Apr 19 (but it seems to be the correct date according to the date of /Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/install/Zotero.dotm)
    No, that's not right. Zotero 7 doesn't have a zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/install folder, so if you see that you're not looking at the Zotero 7 app bundle. The Zotero 7 beta would have an integration/word-for-mac folder, and the date of the .dotm would be the date you upgraded.

So if you still see an April 19 .dotm in your Startup folder, the auto-install and the install from the prefs just isn't working.

Which is also backed up by this:
    35. Via zotero 7.0.0-beta.5, resinstalling the add-in (Installation was successful)
    36. ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content.localized/Startup.localized/Word is empty.
    We could debug the install separately — the .dotm can sometimes end up in the wrong folder on non-English systems — but for now you'll just want to try manually copying the .dotm from integration/word-for-mac in the Zotero 7 app to your active Word Startup folder.
  • Thank you for your comment
    No, that's not right. Zotero 7 doesn't have a zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/install folder, so if you see that you're not looking at the Zotero 7 app bundle. The Zotero 7 beta would have an integration/word-for-mac folder, and the date of the .dotm would be the date you upgraded.
    This is what I get after upgrading. I see two folders:
    /Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/install
    /Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/integration/word-for-mac
  • Ah, OK, we'll fix that. But installing manually from the integration/word-for-mac folder and restarting Word should get you the right file.
  • Yes, I have the right file from a manual installation. But nothing happens after hitting "Add/Edit Citation". Do you need a Debug ID? I am sorry to create so much trouble.
  • edited May 25, 2023
    To confirm, if you remove the .dotm, restart Word to confirm that the Zotero toolbar is gone completely, reinstall the .dotm (file size 38,332 bytes) manually from integration/word-for-mac, restart Word to make the toolbar reappear, and then click on Add/Edit Citation, nothing happens? And same after restarting your computer?

What if you delete that Zotero app and reinstall the beta from the beta builds page, and then repeat the manual installation?
  • I am sorry to create so much trouble.
    (Not at all! Sorry for the trouble, and thanks for taking the time to work through this with us.)
  • edited May 25, 2023
    To confirm, if you remove the .dotm, restart Word to confirm that the Zotero toolbar is gone completely, reinstall the .dotm (file size 38,332 bytes) manually from integration/word-for-mac, restart Word to make the toolbar reappear, and then click on Add/Edit Citation, nothing happens?
    Correct. The .dotm file size is 38,332 bytes (May 25)
    And same after restarting your computer?
    Right, the same
    What if you delete that Zotero app and reinstall the beta from the beta builds page, and then repeat the manual installation?
    1. Deleted the Zotero app by dragging the app to the bin and delete immediately...
    2. Deleting the .dotm file
    3. Opening Word to check the toolbar (gone)
    4. Checking “Privacy & Security” -> “Automation”. No zotero
    5. Restarting the laptop
    6. Checking “Privacy & Security” -> “Automation”. No zotero
    7. Reinstalling the beta from the beta builds page (7.0.0-beta.5+4ca427863)
    8. Checking “Privacy & Security” -> “Automation” before even starting zotero for the first time. Zotero is listed, with both System Events and Microsoft Word enabled
    9. Manually installing the .dotm inside the startup file from integration/word-for-mac
    10. Starting Word. The zotero toolbar is there.
    11a. Add/Edit Citation with zotero opened: nothing happens
    11b. Add/Edit Citation without zotero opened:
    Word could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure that Zotero is open and try again.
  • 11a. Add/Edit Citation with zotero opened: nothing happens
    11b. Add/Edit Citation without zotero opened:

Word could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure that Zotero is open and try again.
    Oh, OK, in that case let's see a Debug ID.
  • Oh, OK, in that case let's see a Debug ID.
    D317740855
  • Disable all plugins.
  • Sorry, I didn't not notice one plugin was enabled. It wasn't yesterday. (I didn't expect any of them was already supporting zotero 7)

Well it works now. Sorry for the waste of time
  • No problem — we found a bunch of things to fix regardless, so definitely not a waste of time.
  • edited May 25, 2023
    It also solves the same problem with LibreOffice on MacOS