Style Request: American Philosophical Association

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-the-american-philosophical-association/information/author-instructions/preparing-your-materials

ISSN: 2053-4477 (Print), 2053-4485 (Online)

In-text citation:
(Campbell & Pedersen 2007: 201)
(Mares 2001: 198)

Bibliography:
Campbell, John L., & Pedersen, Ove K. (2007) 'The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success'. Comparative Political Studies, 40(3), 307–332.

Mares, Isabela (2001) 'Firms and the welfare state: When, why, and how does social policy matter to employers?'. In Peter A. Hall & David Soskice (eds.), Varieties of capitalism. The institutional foundations of comparative advantage (New York: Oxford University Press), 184–213.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/DF61DF820680B19688B1F53948E64AB5/S2053447722000331a.pdf/contrastive-intentions.pdf
  • I've logged your request, but it'll be a while till I get to it as I'm currently busy with other projects.
    (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zc3Sl4JU7Ltu0Q55-OB0QYCJbYiguVXwpc_BzBLLZcA/edit#gid=128551622)

• Please, could you possibly point me to the closest style that is already established in Zotero, so I can get by for the time being?
  • The Zotero styles you recommend have no similarity with "American Philosophical Association" in-text citations, with colons (author date: page) - nor with references, as indicated above.
  • edited May 9, 2023
    I made over 700 styles on the repository.

The page numbers you will need to add while you cite.

Also note that you're asking for a close matching style which they are. Over 90% match.
  • The styles you propose are of the following type:

In-text citation:
    (Campbell & Pedersen 2007, p. 201)
    (Mares 2001, p. 198)

Bibliography:
    Campbell, John L., & Pedersen, Ove K. 2007: The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success. Comparative Political Studies, 40(3): 307-332.

It can be seen that they do not match by 90%. It is not just a matter of adding the page numbers.
  • They are the closest we currently have. 90% is a bit up for interpretation, but strictly speaking (how much of the string is the same) they are definitely>90%
  • I mean, you want a placeholder style that is close enough.
    Only a custom style will match the requirements. I don't know why you're pedantic about a placeholder style if all it does is let you write your citations while potentially a style for the journal is prepared.

Regarding that, the CSL team is independent of Zotero and run by volunteers. We do this in our own time for the good of the academic community. You can see that there is a veeery long list of style requests.
  • You are right, I interpret 90% when I hardly have to modify manually. I was asking because I wanted to know if I could save myself the time of this, as I have to submit an article soon. But I will do it manually if nobody has another proposal. Thank you very much for your collaboration.
  • edited May 9, 2023
    "In the meantime" doesn't mean we want you to edit your citations manually, but just use it as a placeholder.
    If you had mentioned you have a submission coming up in a friendly manner (or requested a style months ago) then I could've thought about prioritising this style.
  • edited May 9, 2023
    I apologise if this seemed unfriendly, it was not my intention. Thank you very much sincerely
  • I want to submit the article around the 15th. But don't worry, it's just in case you happen to have time for that date, I saw that the list in your repository is really long
  • It works perfectly. Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help! Proud to use Zotero, with such a great community of support
  • Hi! I have found some small corrections for the American Journal of Philosophy version. Please could you add them?

I would greatly appreciate it if you could give it some priority. I have a lot of citations and I only need this to send the article.

BIBLIOGRAPHY
    3) Sort titles in temporal order instead of alphabetical order.

BIBLIOGRAPHY / BOOK
    4) Add editor and/or translator as: Edited and translated
    5) Place city before publisher.

As follows:
    Kant, Immanuel (2011) Groundwork of the Metaphysics of Morals: A German-English Edition. Edited and translated by Mary Gregor and Jens Timmermann. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

BIBLIOGRAPHY / CHAPTER
    6) Put the main work in italics.
    7) Add editor and/or translators in brackets: (eds. and trans.)
    8) Place city before publisher, and both in brackets.
    9) Add the volume, with the acronym: vol.

As follows:
    Mares, Isabela (2001) 'Firms and the welfare state: When, why, and how does social policy matter to employers?'. In Peter A. Hall & David Soskice (eds. and trans.), Varieties of capitalism. The institutional foundations of comparative advantage, vol. 1 (New York: Oxford University Press), 184-213.
  • Thank you very much for the changes! I indicate only the most important missing points:

BIBLIOGRAPHY / BOOK
    1) Place city before publisher.

As follows:
    Kant, Immanuel (2011) Groundwork of the Metaphysics of Morals: A German-English Edition. Edited and translated by Mary Gregor and Jens Timmerman. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

BIBLIOGRAPHY / CHAPTER
    2) Place city before publisher
    3) Add the volume, with the abbreviation: vol.

As follows:
    Mares, Isabela (2001) 'Firms and the welfare state: When, why, and how does social policy matter to employers?'. In Peter A. Hall & David Soskice (ed. and trans.), Varieties of capitalism. The institutional foundations of comparative advantage, vol. 1 (New York: Oxford University Press), 184-213.
  • In the chapters the volume (vol.) comes before the work, but that's fine now. It will be easy for me to change the order manually. Thank you very much!
  • I'll fix it. Don't do anything manually. That's what citation styles were made for.
  • Hello. Just a reminder. Could you make this modification for the book chapters?
    - place vol. at the end of the book, instead of at the beginning.
    - place a comma after (ed. and trans.)

As in the example:

Mares, Isabela (2001) 'Firms and the welfare state: When, why, and how does social policy matter to employers?'. In Peter A. Hall & David Soskice (ed. and trans.), Varieties of capitalism. The institutional foundations of comparative advantage, vol. 1 (New York: Oxford University Press), 184-213.
  • edited May 31, 2023
    Adamsmith fixed this on th merge of the style.
    The latest style from the repository should have this included. If not, let us know.

https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:journal-of-the-american-philosophical-association
  • THANK YOU VERY MUCH! It has worked really well!