Asterisk on Imported Tags

Is there a way to prevent Zotero from adding asterisks at the beginning of every tag within a library?
  • Where are you importing from (i.e., what does it say in the library catalog field of the item(s) in question)?
    Do the items have a URL or DOI and if so could you provide a couple example ones?
  • The library catalog field is blank for the items in question. Example DOI : 10.1037/neu0000865 and 10.1007/s10826-021-02021-2
  • how are you importing those items then? I believe the only way to get an empty library catalog is if you import from RIS or other metadata formats, in which case it's not really something we can address -- the * are in the imported data.
  • Regarding tags (automatic and manual), is there anyway to identify or filter in Zotero by those articles which contain automatic tags and which do not? I'm trying to get a ratio of those imported records that carried in tags versus those that did not so I can figure out how much manual keyword tagging I have to do...
    thanks all
  • Some journal publishers and bibliographic databases use an asterisk to indicate keywords that are MeSH terms and distinguish those from author-supplied terms. Alas, other publishers add an asterisk to indicate that the keyword is considered by (someone) to be an important keyword. As adamsmith said, the asterisks are part of the imported metadata.

I would be a happy user if Zotero would automatically delete the preceding asterisk from all tags.

Some publishers (JAMA journals, for example) will suggest MeSH terms and these are actually included as MeSH in the pre-indexed Medline/ PubMed records. I've noticed, however, that after formal indexing, these terms can change to a higher (less specific) term or more frequently to a lower more specific term for the final record.